Stelco is a company that has grown along with Canada and its global partners. We understand that twenty-first century competition demands the highest quality products, period. So, Stelco is bringing together the people, technology, and unmatched market knowledge to, once again, take on that challenge from here at home.
Stelco is looking for an Occupational Health Nurse (OHN) to join a dynamic multi- disciplinary team to help support the health and well being of our employees. With safety being a core value of Stelco our nurse(s) will strive to support our staff, including contractors/vendors in maintaining safety standards and carrying out medical treatment and assessments within their scope of practice.
Major responsibilities are:
- Provide emergency and non urgent care to employees related to occupational injuries and illnesses assessing and referring out as warranted, providing WSIB information and scheduling follow up visits with medical as needed.
- Facilitating return to work, WSIB forms and assisting with non-occupational illnesses and injuries
- Managing worker restrictions, compliance with safety standards and providing employees with health teaching to maintain their own safety while on the job.
- Ensure compliance with Ministry of Labour regulations in scheduling timely surveillance medicals for higher risk employees; including vitals, ECG, , bloodwork, vision, PFT, Respirator, Audiogram and EARfit testing. Administer immunizations as required.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment, multitasking and maintaining positive work relationships with all mill personnel to schedule appointments and send out reports in a timely a fashion.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Work closely, respectfully and confidentially with Disability Management for both work related and non- work related illnesses and injuries to facilitate an early and safe return to work.
- Develop and maintain accurate record keeping in employee’s individual chart as well as computer based charting.
- Monitor and order inventory of all required supplies to keep area running smoothly.
- Calibrate equipment daily and organize with vendors for mandated calibrations.
- Update company medical policies and procedures as required.
- Assist Plant Protection in carrying out drug and alcohol testing on employees.
- Be a resource to other departments for health related questions ex. Covid symptoms, assessments and return to work testing or other supporting documentation.
- Current RN registration within Ontario and in good standing with CNO. Bachelor of Science in Nursing or a diploma in Nursing. Professional
- Occupational Health Certificate (COHN) and/ or a diploma in Occupational Health an asset.
- BLS/ACLS/Trauma Certification an asset
- Member of a professional organization such as RNAO, OOHNA
- Computer skills including Outlook, Word, Excel and Medgate (Cority)
- Evidence of continuing education and/or professional development in occupational health
Conditions of Employment
- Successful candidate will be required to travel between both Hamilton and Nanticoke sites to cover coworkers/shifts as needed.
- Shift work and Overtime may be required.
- Medical is located within the plant and travel to mills/ offices is required. This can be hot, dirty and dusty. The use of mandated PPE for the mill environment is required and supplied by employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Nanticoke, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Registered Nurse (RN) License (required)
Work Location: In person