About the job:
CSE is currently looking for systems administrators and desktop administrators from a diverse range of technical backgrounds who will thrive working on unique problems in an open minded and innovative environment, and who value the different perspectives of others. We are looking for people who constantly strive for better solutions to keep our country safe, who seek to learn more about the cyber challenges that impact us, and who collaborate with partners, colleagues, and teams on complex problems. You should be someone who enjoys a challenging career and who desires to learn new technologies to expand and evolve your expertise.
Our positions exist in very dynamic and unique operational environments and provides direct support to CSE missions. We are a unique technical organization with hundreds of subject matter experts across IT domains. We have guilds of expertise who collaborate in agency, government, and international initiatives to find the right solution to complex problems. Individuals selected will assist with the engineering, configuration, and support of a variety of hardware and software. Our team relies heavily on virtualization to support our operations.
Your work will have a significant impact on Canada’s security posture and will contribute towards ensuring the safety of Canadians. Your role will entail technical research and development, enabling continued innovation within various IT environments. You will be responsible for effective provisioning, installation, configuration and supporting advancement of many technologies across multiple IT domains while adhering to ITIL principles.
You may work with many common enterprise services: Linux and/or Windows, data storage & protection services, scripting, and networking. You may also be exposed to cloud services, cryptography, PKI, the system development lifecycle, and automation technologies.
· UNMA-09: $107,432 - $124,208 per year
· UNMA-08: $99,861 - $115,504 per year
· UNMA-07: $91,585 - $106,240 per year
· UNMA-06: $80,746- $93,951 per year
All jobs are in Ottawa, Ontario. Flexible work arrangements, including telework for a portion of the work week, may be possible. For more information on location, please visit the following link: https://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/en/culture-and-community/life-cse/where-we-work. CSE locations meet current accessibility standards.
The Government of Canada offers relocation assistance and reimbursement of relocation costs to new hires. More information on our relocation program can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/travel-relocation/addendum-initial-appointees-relocation-program.html
Various language requirements (English Essential or Bilingual BBB/BBB)
Area of Selection
Open to Canadian citizens.
You must clearly demonstrate in your application how you meet these required qualifications:
You must have one of the following:
· Post-secondary education in a field related to the position, such as (but not limited to) Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Computer Engineering Technology
· An acceptable combination of education, training or relevant experience (as listed below).
*The educational program must be recognized in Canada and you must be able to provide proof of education credentials.
The below required experiences can be acquired in an academic or professional setting. Recent graduates should note that school projects can be considered as relevant experience. The breadth and depth of experience demonstrated in your application may be used to help determine which UNMA level you will be qualified for.
Experience (Streams 1 and 3)
· Experience or training in system administration which may include but is not limited to: operating systems, software, server, storage, backups and appliance administration in a networked environment.
Experience (Stream 2)
· Experience or training in desktop administration which may include but is not limited to: all aspects of endpoint computing/deskside computing, operating systems and peripherals in a networked environment.
Competencies is our term for skills and/or knowledge. These required competencies are the skills/knowledge we need to see reflected in your application, interviews, etc., for you to be successful.
Technical Competencies (All Streams)
· Knowledge of IT: Possesses a generalist’s knowledge of all areas in IT, including but not limited to: Software Application Development, Database Management, IT Security, IT Architecture, System Administration.
· Infrastructure / Platforms: Knowledge and ability to support the enterprise computing infrastructure (e.g. enterprise servers, storage devices and systems, hardware and software) in the provision, management, storage, operation, scheduling, support and maintenance of the infrastructure.
Technical Competencies (Stream 2 only)
· IT User Support / Help Desk: Applies his/her in-depth technical knowledge of a specific application, system or business process to support users who have questions or who are experiencing difficulties, errors or system failures and to keep the IT environment functioning efficiently, effectively and securely.
Behavioral Competencies (All Streams)
· Interactive Communication: Communicating in a compelling, honest, persuasive, effective, and articulate manner, thinking about who you need to communicate with, ensuring the message is clear, understood & consistent with CSE objectives.
· Cognitive Thinking Skills: Responding to challenges with innovative solutions, products, or services by questioning conventional means, using intuition, experimentation & fresh perspectives; understanding, analyzing, synthesizing and relating complex information and abstract variables.
· Working in a Team: Demonstrating effective interpersonal skills & working cooperatively and effectively within & across organizational units to achieve common goals.
Who Can Apply - Area of Selection
You must be a Canadian citizen and be willing to comply with CSE’s own security policies and standards.
You must have no criminal record. The screening process involves a
· security interview
· polygraph test
· psychological assessment
· background investigation covering a minimum of your last 10 years history, including credit and financial verifications.
How to Apply
You may submit your candidacy online by selecting “APPLY” at the bottom of this page.
If you cannot apply online or have a disability preventing you from applying online, please inform us by email prior to the closing date of this selection process. CSE offers an assessment process that will accommodate any reasonable measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Those measures are available to all candidates for further assessment. Related information received will be addressed confidentially. If you may need such accommodation, please advise us.
What to Expect
1. The selection process can be done in the official language of your choice.
2. Applicants who meet our Area of Selection will be emailed a technical written test which will be used as a screening tool. Make sure to check your spam/junk mailbox regularly for notification of the test.
3. Candidates who successfully pass the exam will have their application circulated to various hiring managers.
4. If a hiring manager expresses interest in a candidate profile, the candidate will be contacted to schedule an initial interview. Those who are successful during their initial interviews will be contacted to schedule a follow-up technical interview.
a. Applications will remain available to hiring managers for a maximum of 3 months. If a manager does not express interest in an application during this time, the application will expire.
5. Two supervisory / managerial references will be requested from candidates who successfully complete the interview stage.
6. Candidates will be required to complete the security assessment. More information regarding the security process can be found on CSE's website.
The entire selection process – tests, interviews, security investigation – may take more than one year to complete.
If you are deemed to be unsuccessful in the assessment process for this particular selection process, you may reapply in twelve (12) months.
The breadth and depth of experience demonstrated in your application as well as the level of competence demonstrated in the various assessments will be used to determine your qualifications for the UNMA-06, UNMA-07, UNMA-08 or UNMA-09 level.
Training and Development
At CSE, we are proud to offer an inclusive and supportive working environment that encourages open minds and attitudes. As an organization that values and nurtures talent, we’re committed to helping you fulfill your potential. With comprehensive training and development opportunities, tailored to your needs and the requirements of your work, we’ll enable you to flourish in your role and perform to the best of your abilities.
Determinate and indeterminate appointments will be used to staff positions of permanent or temporary tenures within CSE. All appointments have a one (1) year probation period.
Overtime and standby duty may be required.
CSE is a separate organization and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act (PSEA). We have our own values-based staffing regime and as such, have the flexibility to determine qualifications for positions and how these qualifications will be assessed in a selection process. In other words, CSE has its own classification, compensation system, and a different staffing regime. As such, we use a different staffing process and terminology.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $80,746.00-$124,208.00 per year
Work Location: In person