Requisition ID: 39422
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Journeyperson - Machinist will perform a variety of skilled shop and field work at the journeyman level, entailing the operation of machining tools in the fabricating, repairing and maintaining of City machinery, equipment, structures and buildings.
The successful candidate will perform skilled machining and related tasks including millwright type work in accordance with established trade practices and may supervise the work of subordinates performing less complex related tasks. Some phases of the duties may be more complex and difficult entailing the use of independent judgment in determining methods and procedures in solving unusual problems related to complex fitting, fabrication, machining, layout and designing tasks as required.
The successful candidate must be able to work either 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM, Monday to Friday or 3:10 PM to 12:34 AM, Monday to Friday. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and locations as operationally required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs skilled shop and field work in repairing, building, overhauling and maintaining a variety of machinery, mobile equipment, hydraulic systems and components and structures.
- Responsible for carrying through to completion, the construction, assembly, installation and repair of a wide variety of metal parts, tools, and machines and usually involves working with large and heavy pieces as well as various small instruments.
- Responsible for substantial amount of millwright work.
- Receives written and verbal assignments accompanied by sketches or blueprints, layouts and by reference to broken, worn or sample parts. Included is the use of a variety of tools and equipment including but not limited to lathes, grinders, milling machines, drill presses, threading machines and related hand and power tools.
- Operates heavy equipment and trucks into positions for repairs and alterations as required.
- Performs related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10, supplemented by the successful completion of a recognized apprenticeship in the Machinist trade.
- Machinist Certificate of Qualifications (T.Q.) of British Columbia or Inter-Provincial Red Seal Endorsement
- Red Seal certification is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, methods, tools, materials and equipment used in the Machinist trade supplemented by considerable experience as a Millwright.
- Thorough knowledge of the use and care of tools and equipment in finishing and fitting a variety of metal parts and objects in the maintenance, overhaul and repair of construction and maintenance equipment.
- High degree of accuracy and precision in performing tasks according to instructions and specifications.
- Considerable knowledge of hazards and proper safety aspects of the trade.
- Ability to work from sketches, blueprints and verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to layout and make patterns.
- Ability to effectively supervise one or more subordinates engaged in less complex tasks.
- Ability and skills in use and care of the tools, materials, and equipment used in the trade.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills as well as good written and verbal communications.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, with little or no supervision and under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks as required.
- Ability to operate hand tools, vehicles and equipment.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2023
Number of Positions Available: 3
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $41.95 per hour
Application Close: November 23, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.