At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Junior Engineer, Bridge Rating is responsible for assisting with establishing and documenting the load-carrying capacity of bridges across the CN network in accordance with the Company and the American Railway Engineering and Maintenance of Way Association (AREMA) guidelines. The position is considered an entry-level Engineer professional role in which one develops thorough competency of structural engineering principles and mastery of Company policies and Bridges & Structures (B&S) management procedures.
- Provide assistance with analyses and ratings of various bridge spans on the CN network in accordance with CN and AREMA guidelines
- Ensure documentation of load-carrying capacities of bridges across the CN Network is up-to-date on a regular basis
- Perform thorough review of the most current drawings and inspection reports
- Consult with the Engineer Bridge Rating and/or Senior Bridge Assessment Engineer to establish appropriate restrictions
- Prepare Assessment Reports with recommendations for bridge maintenance, strengthening or replacement requirements, and outline consequences for inaction
- Ensure accurate record keeping of all recommendations
Dimensional Load Clearance
- Review heavy axle load (HAL) clearance requests
- Ensure all routings for the HAL clearance are accurately identified
- Consult with Engineer Bridge Rating and/or Senior Bridge Assessment Engineer to establish appropriate restrictions
- Ensure HAL requests are forwarded in a timely manner to appropriate Regional Managers for further clearance over timber bridges
- Conduct HAL audits to ensure compliance of HAL clearance with approved restrictions
- Verify and ensure compliance of work or actions completed with assessment recommendations
- Participate in the field and/or documentary audits of bridge inspection reports
- Participate in construction safety audits
Training and Development
- Participate in field visits to familiarize with CN Network and Bridges & Structures plant inventory in conjunction with field inspection, safety blitz, construction work blocks, or reconnaissance trips
- Participate and provide support in Bridge Testing
- Ensure all CN required trainings are completed in a timely manner
The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular work week from Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of the role, the incumbent must be able to meet tight deadlines, handle pressure and manage stress. The role requires occasional travel (5%) within the region and occasional work outside the normal working hours.
Relevant Work Experience
- Student internship in Engineering*
- Experience in general bridge Engineering with a railway company or Engineering consulting firm*
- Any experience for these above would be considered as an asset
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering*
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering*
- Civil Engineering Degree Specialization in Structural Engineering*
- Ability to be certified in appropriate Railway Operating Rules US/Canada (USOR/CROR)
- Registered as an Engineer In Training (EIT) for a Professional Engineer License
- Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset
- Follows safety procedures, information security instructions and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) principles to lead my example
- Shares timely information within and across functions to get things done effectively
- Ability to effectively communicate with colleagues, customers, and other stakeholders
- Tracks metrics to achieve ambitious targets and holds self and others accountable to meet performance expectations
- Applies analytical thinking to make recommendations that pursue sustainable performance
- Continuously innovates to create value, without compromising on safety and quality
- Knows and stays current with bridge and structural engineering trends to elevate expertise and work
- Develops the ability to present limited technical and engineering training modules
- Basic knowledge of technical and engineering aspects of Railroad Bridges: properties, behaviours, deficiencies and inspections procedures
- Knowledge of general Structural Engineering
- Technical report writing skills
- General computer and software utilization skills
- Knowledge of Fall Protection
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
At CN, we are dedicated to building North America’s safest, most inclusive and sustainable railroad, which includes reflecting the communities in which we operate. Research shows that candidates from underrepresented groups often don’t apply unless they feel they fit the job posting at 100%. Even if you don’t see yourself in every job requirement listed in a posting, we still encourage you to apply. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations), please reach out to our team at [email protected].
As an equal employment opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.