Department: Service Nova Scotia
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 27-Sep-23 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
At Service Nova Scotia, we impact every citizen, business and municipality in Nova Scotia. Our mandate is to design and deliver programs and services to meet the needs of our clients and the public good through a culture of excellence. Service Nova Scotia’s vision is to be a recognized leader in service and public protection that delivers trusted, accessible, modern programs, and contributes to Nova Scotia as a safe and desirable place to live, work and do business.
Do you care deeply, genuinely and passionately about customer service? Do you have great communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working with the public? Are you able to effectively manage difficult client engagements? If you have answered yes to these questions, we would love to talk to you!
Under the direction of the Vital Statistics Customer Service Leader, you provide subject matter expertise to the Registration Unit Customer Service Representatives working in the walk-in and back-office service delivery location. As a member of a team, you work in a process driven, complex work environment where attention to detail and confidentiality are critical.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing support and assistance with complex transactions and escalating customer files as required, leveraging your extensive experience in the programs offered by Vital Statistics, and customer service training and experience;
- Reviewing and following up on reports and information to ensure compliance with legislation and procedures;
- Communicating with and motivating employees to achieve quality and productivity standards, including providing instruction, coaching and support as required;
- Being accountable for oversight of the Registration Unit, ensuring performance targets are met, service level targets are met, and leadership is routinely updated;
- Preparing and implementing training plans as required, ensuring new hires are trained and onboarded in a timely manner;
- Ensuring the strictest adherence to confidentiality among the team and a high level of accuracy and attention to detail is exhibited by staff; and
- Ensuring adherence to relevant policy and procedures.
You possess five years of experience in a customer service environment and a minimum of two years of experience in Vital Statistics, ideally Registrations. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. In addition, you possess:
- Leadership skills;
- Customer service orientation;
- Teamwork attributes;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to multitask;
- Sound knowledge of the interpretation and administration of programs administered by Vital Statistics and the Department; and
- The ability to deal diplomatically with members of the public while providing quality customer service in a fast-paced environment.
Ability to speak French and or other languages would be viewed as an asset for this position.
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offerings and eligibility criteria.
- Career development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career
- Engaging workplace: our employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies
- Countless career paths
- Department specific flexible working schedules
Pay Grade: CL 22
Salary Range: $1,924.59 - $2,128.70 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].