Kwa'lilas Hotel is seeking an Executive Chef to join our team in Port Hardy, B.C.
The Kwa’lilas Hotel is located in the traditional territories of the Kwakiutl people. Meaning “a place to sleep”, the “Kwa’lilas” hotel was named by the Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw elders in hopes that guests may find peaceful rest after a day of exploration on North Vancouver Island.
The Executive Chef provides leadership training and hands-on management of the kitchen staff; drives menu design and kitchen creativity; and is responsible for growing and developing the product and profitability of the food service program for Nax'id Pub, Ha'me Restaurant and Kwa'lilas Hotel Banquets and events. The Executive Chef will provide a consistent product and experience achieving revenue targets and managing costs and ensures all staff under direct supervision, are focused, and demonstrating a guest focus attitude and culture. In addition to maintaining our vision by adhering to our values and management principles, this Executive Chef must provide the highest level of service to our guests.
What We Offer:
- 1 month of covered accommodation for individuals relocating from outside of Northern Vancouver Island
- Enrollment into company benefits after 3 months of employment
- Wellness incentives including free weekly smoothies, fitness classes, and discounted gym membership
- Free in-person counselling services
- Company events and holiday parties
- Career growth and development opportunities
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Food and Beverage Manager with overall kitchen operation as a successful independent profit center, ensuring maximum guest satisfaction, through planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the kitchen operation and administration.
- Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while assisting in leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Also assists in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced.
Executive Chef Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage culinary team and delegate responsibilities as required.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels and responds to and handles guest problems and complaints. Ensure that guests are always receiving an exceptional dining experience representing true value for money.
- Maintain human resource objectives by providing employee feedback, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and making recommendations to General Manager regarding succession planning; coach and counsel employees in a timely manner and in accordance with Company policy; ensure that the culinary department adheres to all Kwa'lilas Hotel policies and procedures; motivate and incentivize the culinary team.
- Recruit and select a suitable culinary team who can work within a decentralized management philosophy in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Ensure that chefs are always in clean, tidy uniforms and are always presentable to be in guest view.
- Be aware of all financial budgets and goals and that the department’s overall operational budgets are strictly adhered too; verify that all recipes and product yields are accurately costed and reviewed regularly and monitor that all food items are prepared as per standard recipe cards whilst maintaining portion control and minimizing waste.
- Verify that food stock levels within the culinary department areas are of sufficient quantity and quality in relevance to the hotel occupancy and function forecasts and that all food products received into the Main Kitchen are of the required standard and quality and that they are stored and rotated correctly.
- Ensure that all food preparation equipment is being used safety and correctly and that it is cleaned and maintained; ensure that all culinary operations manuals are prepared and updated.
- Ensure that a consistent first-class product of the highest quality is achieved and maintained in all culinary areas, whilst adhering to operational deadlines.
- Ensure that meetings are well planned, and results orientated.
- Creative menu planning and correct food preparation for each outlet including banquets.
- Ensure that all relevant banquet set-ups are prepared ahead of guest’s arrival and in adherence with company standards.
- Be aware of new items, which are introduced onto the market and keep up with the lasted product trends; work in close conjunction with the Food and Beverage Director and Executive Chef, to create a yearly marketing Plan for the outlet.
- Initiate relevant maintenance reports and work orders supported by the respective follow up of those items actioned.
- Spend time in the restaurant to ensure that the operation is managed well by the outlet team.
- Ensure that weekly work schedules and annual leave planners are administered and filed correctly.
- Culinary Certificate or Degree by an accredited culinary program preferred
- Red Seal Certification
- 7-10 years’ experience in a professional busy kitchen, pubs and restaurant environment
- Able to deliver and exceed the expectations of a highly demanding clientele
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits
- Professional appearance and manner, good character to work in a fast-paced team
- Positive, honest, and energetic work ethic
- Food Service Certified
- Solid track record of success; demonstrating upward career tracking
- Able to work ten hour shifts plus the ability to stand, walk for extended periods of time
- Able to grasp, lift and/or carry up to 50 lbs. as needed
- Finger/hand dexterity to operate kitchen machinery, knives, etc.
- Able to withstand changes in temperature, occasional smoke, steam and heat and work in a confined area
- Must possess hearing, visual and sensory abilities to observe and detect emergency situations; also, to distinguish product, taste texture, temperature and presentation and preparation
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong communication skills
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate teams to produce consistently great food
- Adept at working effectively in high energy and busy environments and works well under pressure
- Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays
- Can work on own as well as part of a team
- Passion for good food, local ingredients and quality customer experiences
- Excellent knife skills
- Must love and enjoy working with food
- Ability to portion control on a large scale
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00-$80,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Wellness program
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Port Hardy, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Executive Chef: 7 years (preferred)
Work Location: On the road