Founded in 1842, Pickering College is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 co-educational day and boarding school located in Newmarket, Ontario. We are seeking a Director of Property and Facilities that is inspired by our mission and whose values align with the school.
As a member of the senior management team, and reporting to the Assistant Head of School, Finance and Operations, the Director of Property and Facilities plays a key role in shaping the school community. The Director provides leadership and management of the school’s facilities and properties, ensuring safe operations of buildings and our 35-acre property in 24 hours a day/7 day a week operation. The Director also has responsibility for managing the development and maintenance of our Farm property and oversees the facilities team.
This role is critical in strategic planning and management of the facilities. Responsibilities include long-term planning, development of new and existing facilities and overseeing the implementation of those plans. This position plans and executes both operating and capital budgets.
Currently a new 50,000 square foot academic building (West Lake House) is under construction with an anticipated opening date of February 2025.
· Oversee and provide leadership to a team of facility services staff including Team Leaders, Custodians, Housekeepers, Arena and Groundskeepers, part-time and weekend casual staff;
· Ensures that the property and facilities are clean, safe and secure at all times;
· Provide Facilities leadership and internal project management for the construction of West Lake House;
· Provide Facilities leadership through development and execution of strategic short and long-term plans in support of the school’s redevelopment plan of existing facilities;
· Oversee capital projects, including project management of construction, review timelines, budget, school interruptions and safety with Assistant Head of School, Finance and Operations;
· Develop, implement and evaluate an annual building and maintenance plan that supports the overall school objectives.
· A university degree with Engineering certification or equivalent;
· Previous leadership experience, preferably in an educational setting;
· Minimum of 10 years of experience preferred working in Facilities or Maintenance capacity, with knowledge of mechanical, plumbing, construction, electrical, fire prevention systems and general maintenance;
· Demonstrated supervisory experience;
· Successful Operating and Capital budget responsibility;
· Project Management experience;
· Expertise in strategic planning and implementation;
· Demonstrated experience in implementation of organizational goals and plans;
· Strong relationship management skills;
· Demonstrated initiative, discernment and resourcefulness, and sound decision-making ability;
· Excellent organizational and management skills demonstrated in the ability to prioritize complex objectives and multiple priorities with overlapping deadlines;
· Flexibility to work some evenings and weekend, as required;
· Independent school experience an asset;
· Experience with Occupational Health and Safety Act, and safe work practices;
· Valid Driver’s License.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Newmarket, ON L3Y 4X2: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-13