Position: Manufacturing Engineer
Reports to: Manufacturing Engineering Supervisor
Department: Manufacturing Engineering
Purpose and Scope: Senior Manufacturing Engineers conduct studies, develop and supervise programs to achieve efficient industrial production and to enhance productivity based on the best use of machinery, materials, technology, and procedures.
· Analytical Thinking
· Project Management
- Develop RFQ package for all processes required for new jobs including determining methods for meeting process, quality, or any other customer/internal requirements to be successful in production
- Gather data to submit RFQs to suppliers to determine if solution is feasible considering the annual production volume requirements, appropriate ROI, quality and reliability of production process. Select suppliers based on quality, price, and lead time. Summarize these details in a proposal for review by the team.
- Design workcells and equipment (robotic workcells, semi-auto assembly fixtures, operator workstations etc) to implement quoted process including robot mounting, safety guarding, auxiliary automation (e.g., conveyors, vision systems), EOAT, and floor layout including moulding machine. Build BOM, order materials and generate 2D drawings for appropriate trades to assemble. Maintain communication between trades and program management on progress and propose solutions to get back on schedule if necessary.
- Creating and updating PFMEA and PFD to reflect new processes as well as address production and quality concerns with adherence to current standards.
- Work with all departments to ensure customer satisfaction including identifying, troubleshooting and developing solutions to improve upon existing processes to address safety concerns, environmental impacts, quality concerns, improve production uptime and reduce scrap.
- Support internal and external auditing activities
- Maintain and create documentation required for EASR registry including annual review of appropriate documentation and consultation with outside firms for new projects
- Be champion and drive improvement projects like cost saving initiatives, quality improvement, safety improvements, scrap reduction, VAVE etc.
- Ensure safety, health and environmental issues, and the company interests are appropriately addressed
- Gate keeper to ensure robust manufacturing process design for high volume production prior to launch. Plan, design, arrange, change, optimize, and supervise manufacturing processes. Develop, and implement procedures required to manufacture, assemble, and test products of the company. Key areas include CI, scrap and OEE.
- Be Champion for continuous improvement to attain safety, quality, delivery, and cost metrics, as an engineering presence; product research, construction drawing coordination, design calc’s/drawing semblance and review, ROIs, etc.
- Abiding to the safety standards
- Use of LEAN methodologies and continuous improvement strategies to improve inefficiencies to develop corrective solutions
- Provide engineering expertise in manufacturing improvement including ergonomic, scrap, and rejections.
- Support new or improved manufacturing systems that improve quality, delivery performance and increase efficiency.
- All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skill
- Mechanical or Mechatronics Engineering degree or 3-year college diploma
- Preferred 5+ years’ experience in thermoplastic injection moulding
- Thorough understanding of APQP Process, PFMEA, PFD/PFC, Control Plan, ISO 14001, Continuous Improvement, Lean Manufacturing and Ontario EASR
- Good understanding of industrial safety standards including machine and robot safeguarding
- Ability to interpret Engineering drawings and have knowledge of GD&T
- Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, and CAD programs
- Ability to understand and describe the entire moulding process in detail
Training and Development Opportunities
- ISO 14001 Auditor
- WHMIS – Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $85,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Scarborough, ON M1V 4B4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Are you familiar with ISO 14001 and Ontario EASR (Environmental Activity and Sector Registry) standards? Have you been involved in compliance efforts related to these standards in your previous work?
- How many years of experience you have with Cad engineering and GD&T?
- Do you have hands on experience with moulding process from start to finish?
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Manufacturing: 5 years (required)
Work Location: In person