Cape Breton District
Location: Sydney, Cape Breton, NS
Type of Employment: Full-time, Permanent
Union Status: CUPE Local 4840
Competition # CB 23093
Closing Date: June 28, 2023
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) is the provincial government agency responsible for the administration and delivery of affordable housing solutions for low-income Nova Scotians.
We contribute to the prosperity of Nova Scotia by helping individuals and families find a home that’s right for them, at a price they can afford, in a healthy and vibrant community that offers the services, support and opportunities they need. We accomplish this by working closely with other levels of government as well as private and community partners.
Across its districts, NSPHA provides more than 11,200 safe, affordable homes as part of its Housing Services to seniors and families. District offices manage the day-to-day operations of Nova Scotia’s housing stock. Their responsibilities include administering tenant applications and placements, collecting rent, resolving tenant issues, and maintaining and repairing properties.
About Our Opportunity
Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Person is responsible for carrying out material and equipment installations, renovations, repairs and servicing in the following areas – carpentry, plumbing, heating, basic electrical, painting and ventilation. The incumbent is also required to carry out preventative maintenance to all buildings, appliances, fixtures, utilities and equipment in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining buildings and grounds in clean and proper order and may also be required to monitor contractors engaged to carry out maintenance contracts and provide recommendations regarding the replacement and acquisition of materials and equipment.
· Maintain properties under the jurisdiction of the NSPHA, including maintenance and repairs of walks, driveways and parking areas, drainage systems, curbs and gutters, swales, culverts, manholes, catch basins, etc.
· Troubleshoot electrical problems and advise Maintenance Supervisor of action required.
· Troubleshoot septic field system problems.
· Carry out routine cleaning of all work areas and vehicles.
· Recommend the replacement or acquisition of equipment and materials.
· Respond to after-hours maintenance calls while participating on the standby duty roster.
· Actively participate in the NSPHA Safety Program and group safety discussions.
Qualifications and Experience
· Grade 12 or equivalent, plus five years’ experience in building and property maintenance or a related field. Must be able to perform basic tasks in carpentry, plumbing, heating, electrical, painting and drywall.
· Ability to operate electrical and mechanical tools and equipment.
· Ability to perform physical tasks using good body mechanics.
· Knowledge of residential building technology, basic knowledge of National Building Code and Occupational Health and Safety Act.
· Valid Nova Scotia driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle for work purposes.
· Emergency First Aid and WHMIS certifications.
· Knowledge of computer systems is beneficial.
Competencies required at this level of work are Organization, Detail Oriented, Analytical skills, Problem Solving and Communication.
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver’s abstract, and confirmation of education credentials.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status, eligibility and union agreement, the NSPHA offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Classification: TE 15
Salary Range: $23.16 to $26.73 Hourly
Work Week: 35 hours
Note: This is not a Civil Service position.
We are committed to employing staff who are representative of the diverse community we serve.If you are a member of one or more of the following designated groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your cover letter or resume: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your application.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number and name.
Our preferred method of applying is through Career Beacon.
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $23.16-$26.73 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: In person