Intermediate Interior Designer - ( 2300015M )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
We have an immediate opening in our interior design departments in Stantec Atlantic Canada.
We are seeking an Intermediate Interior designer to join our growing Interior design team in Atlantic Canada. Candidates will hold a bachelor’s degree in Interior Design (CIDA accredited institution preferred), Architecture, or related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience developing interior design projects. Candidates must be licensed Interior Designers with NCIDQ
completed or in progress.
As an Intermediate Designer, you will contribute to all stages of project development and work with internal teams to complete various project deliverables. Responsibilities include team collaboration, project deliverables from start to finish, design concept, working drawing, and project administration.
Your Key Responsibilities
The primary role of the Med-level Interior Designer is to interpret and translate the needs and desires of a client as well as any architectural direction set forth into cohesive interior design solution. This process may involve production of drawings (2D/3D), and written material to support the conceptual direction of interior design, FFE and signage. This individual will often be required to present their ideas in formal and informal settings with a willingness and desire to hear and respond to constructive feedback. An individual at this level in their career is expected to perform their role within the standard of care acceptable to their peers in the industry. An Interior Designer is expected to work collaboratively with the architectural team, conceptualizing, developing and documenting varying aspects of interior design of a project, including but not
limited to space planning, interior architecture, interior materials and palette, specifications and FFE.
- Responsible for multiple small projects or one of medium complexity/size, and the ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously and prioritize project deliverables
- Ability to translate design intent into a construction drawing packages including floor plans, finishes plans, reflected ceiling plans, interior elevations, millwork, and details that comply with the local building code
- Conceptualizes and develops interior design from both a functional and aesthetic perspective in concert with a client’s requirements, budget, and program
- Develops space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with project program
- Develops the interior design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats to express the design intent and coordinate with Project Designer
- Understanding of how to compile FFE groupings and how to produce furniture, millwork drawings and details Ability to contact vendors, order samples, collect information as required
- Interpret and conform to building codes and bylaws to ensures design complies with building codes, ADA guidelines and LEED per project type and requirements
- Performs meetings with clients or sub-consultants and as directed by the Senior Interior Designer or Project Manager
- Has the ability to co-ordinate and mentor junior staff and delegate work when needed
- Prepare outline specifications and assist in detailed specification development
- Assist with contract administration including shop drawing reviews and submittals
- Participate in client presentations and actively build relationships with clients through the project process
- Ability to review drawing packages for accuracy, errors and omissions, and integrity
- Evaluates and selects interior systems and materials, finishes and fixtures
- Coordinates project systems to ensure compatibility with the design intent and implements sustainable design principles
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively
- Apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity
- General understanding of the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Requires understanding and implementation skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUP
- Work well in a collaborative team environment, have a positive collaborative attitude, passionate about delivering an incredible experience for clients, ensuring each project is a successful partnership and work cooperatively with multidisciplinary project teams and engineering consultants as needed
- Can oversee and maintain project budgets and timelines with a strong financial acumen to work within established budgets
- Highly motivated and energetic self-starter
- The ability to initiate tasks and perform duties with little supervision
- The ability to communicate comfortably with clients and the design team and consultants
- The ability to multitask many different projects and tasks
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Interior Design or related field (Architecture / Architectural Technology)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience on developing interior design projects
- Proficiency with technical software: Advanced CAD, REVIT, and Photoshop skills (including advanced rendering skills using REVIT and Photoshop), enhanced hand drawing skills and computer software skills (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good understanding of local building code and accessibility standards
- Good understanding and experience in the construction phase of projects
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP is preferred
- Must be a licensed Interior Designer, or eligible to be Licensed with NCIDQ completed or working towards obtaining it
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Organization : BC-1401 Buildings-CA Atlantic Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 8, 2023, 12:59:56 PM
Req ID: 2300015M
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans