Intermediate Structural Engineer, Buildings - ( 230002L3 )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
Our Buildings Group offers services for all phases of the project life cycle, from pre-project planning through detailed design and construction. This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built. Exercising creativity and ingenuity, our team develops unique solutions in building technologies. Our professionals deliver innovative, integrated, and practical solutions to complex problems in many sectors, including healthcare, transit, aviation, commercial, justice, and education. Comprised of engineers, technologists, and architects, we provide career opportunities as unique as you are.
An opportunity exists in Stantec's Toronto, ON office for a highly motivated Intermediate Structural Engineer to join our multidisciplinary team. In this role you will be responsible for the design of structural elements and systems in steel, concrete, masonry, and wood. You will be required to work with limited supervision and direction on small to medium sized projects and as a team member of larger projects, under the general supervision of a Senior Structural Engineer. You will participate in the analysis and design of structural components and systems for a variety of projects in compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/ practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work on multiple projects of small to large scale using various materials
- Interact with a wide variety of clients from owners, developers, consultants, and contractors
- Prepare design calculations, technical specifications, and engineering drawings for concrete, steel, masonry and wood building structures
- Prepare and revise documentation at various design phases, including floor plans, diagrams, and details
- Work with team members in determining viable solutions for design issues
- Work to and meet project time lines and budgets
- Coordinate design work with other disciplines, other offices, and other project team members
- Preparation and review of technical reports
- Participate in constructability reviews
- Participate in Stantec’s quality assurance and quality control process
- Construction administration including site reviews
- Mentoring, coaching and training of less experienced professionals as required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- General knowledge and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes (ex. OBC, A23.3, S16, S304, O86)
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- General knowledge of structural systems, means & methods of construction, and materials
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- General understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of Component Design Software and Building Analysis Software. Experience with SAFE, SAP2000, ETABS, RAM, and/ or MASS preferred
- A self-starter who is innovative and enjoys working in a team environment
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Structural/ Civil Engineering from an accredited university
- Professional Engineer in good standing with PEO
- Minimum of 5 - 10 years of relevant experience in consulting within a buildings Structural team
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1610 Buildings-CA Ontario GTA
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 21, 2023, 3:51:59 PM
Req ID: 230002L3
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans