At Vicwest, we are “Building for Tomorrow” .
Since 1930, Vicwest has been Canada’s designer and manufacturer of metal roofing and building envelope systems that withstand our harshest climates. Not only are our products environmentally friendly, but our aim is to produce them in the most environmentally responsible way.
Our work environment includes:
- Modern office setting
- Growth opportunities
- Wellness programs
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s best-known building materials suppliers as we embark on a significant growth journey through new product launches and market penetration. As part of the Kingspan Group, Vicwest has an ambitious sustainability program, Planet Passionate, revolving around the impact of building materials on the environment.
This is an ideal role for a candidate who is looking to work in a dynamic and progressive company, and who wants to play a pivotal role in building our product development and compliance management systems. If you are looking to join a company that is customer focused and a company that values product quality while driving innovation, then we want you on our team!
Working primarily on customer facing projects, the Engineer provides a complete package of technical services. This will include customer presentations, pre-construction project reviews, project stamping and warranty validation.
The Engineer will perform analysis and design for steel roof deck, composite floor deck, wall/roof cladding, insulated metal wall/roof panels, and aluminum composite panels. This individual will review installation shop drawings for structural and building envelope requirements. This will ensure conformance with applicable building code requirements, standards, and assurance to best practices. Position requires thorough knowledge of civil/structural design and engineering techniques.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Perform structural analysis and design for cold formed steel building products including but not limited to steel roof deck, composite floor deck, wall and roof metal cladding, insulated metal panels and related parts, and secondary structural systems,using governing codes and standards, engineering formulas, skills, and experience.
- Review and interpret customer drawings, project specifications and other project documents as required.
- Review shop drawings for structural requirements, building envelope requirements and compliance with applicable codes, standards and best practices.
- Testing of products and materials in accordance with standards, to meet code requirements.
- Provides engineering support to Technical Services, Sales and other departments for customer facing projects, primarily for institutional, commercial, and industrial buildings, but also residential and agricultural projects as required.
- Support of Internal R&D or Technical Process Initiatives.
- Develops, updates, and maintains projects documentation. Structural Design Engineer /Building Products
- May require site visits and discussions with architects, general contractors / project managers, etc.
- Bachelor of Engineering or Applied Science in Civil/Structural Engineering
- P.Eng. designation with PEO and eligibility to apply for P.Eng. licenses across Canada.
- Experience reading and interpreting structural, architectural drawings, specifications, and other projects documents.
- 7+ years of experience specifically related to design and analysis of buildings.
- 5+ years of experience stamping drawings and technical works.
- Solid knowledge of Canadian Building codes and CAN/CSA S136 standard.
- Experience with ASCE 7-16, IBC, IRC, FBC and other building codes used in US, and with ULC and FM standards considered an asset.
- Knowledge of building envelope design principles is an asset.
- Knowledge of Vicwest’s building products and building envelope designs an asset.
- Experience with Tekla, Revit or other Design Modelling Software is an asset.
- Ability to communicate in French is an asset.
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong regard for quality, and highly organized.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Team-player with ability to work independently and able to adapt to change easily.
- Ability to work with senior engineers, drafting department, project managers, estimators, and other to resolve any issues.
- Software knowledge including advanced Excel functions, CFS, AutoCAD, SharePoint.
- Experience with FEA, STAAD, Tekla, Revit, BIM, programming languages such as VBA or C++ considered an asset.
- Bilingual French/English is an asset.
Vicwest welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
Interested in this role?
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00-$105,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Burlington, ON L7L 5Y7: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have a solid knowledge of Canadian Building codes and CAN/CSA S136 standard.
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- stamping drawings and technical works: 5 years (required)
- Building design: 5 years (required)
- Building envelope design and analysis: 4 years (preferred)
- P. Eng designation with PEO (required)
Work Location: In person