For more than 35 years, MacGregors Industrial Group has been a leading provider of machining and metal fabrication solutions to the manufacturing, energy, mining, forestry, and construction industries. Our goal is to add value and build trust with our clients.
Located in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, our markets reach throughout North America and into export markets.
The Opportunity: Senior Drafting/Detailing (CAD Operator)
Continued growth and expansion have resulted in the need for a full-time Senior Drafter/Detailer for MacGregors Industrial Group. The Senior Drafter/Detailer will work from a leadership position to design, create, and review technical drawings. This position will report directly to the Fabrication Division Manager.
Priority objectives for the drafting technician are:
- Provide leadership with the drafting team, and work to develop system process and overall skills improvement.
- Develop and prepare drawings, plans or diagrams as directed by estimators, project managers, and other stakeholders.
- Provide Fabrication/Machine Shop with requested shop drawings/sketches to maintain a continuous flow on the production floor.
- Operation of computer-aided design (CAD) equipment.
- Produce drawing packages in an efficient and cost-effective manner that positively contributes to overall project success.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Specific roles and responsibilities for the Senior Drafter/Detailer are:
- Review document packages and produce drawing sets as required.
- Assist the Estimation Department by reviewing drawing packages and creating material pick sheets and material estimates, as well as estimation of time required to produce required drawing packages.
- Continually develop overall team skills and improve the drafting and drawing review process.
- Assist the project manager and fabricators during projects with revised drawings and a full comprehension of project drawings.
- Overall responsibility to preform quality control on drawing packages produced by junior drafting personnel and other team members at MacGregors.
Expectations for the drafting technician are:
- The ability to communicate and work with engineers, architects, tradesperson, and clients.
- Immediately inform the Design Manager/Quality Assurance on any concerns or possible technical issues noted during the drafting or drawing review process.
- Develop productive working relationships with other key personnel.
- Available to work 40+ hours per week.
- Continually maintain and develop technical knowledge in order to perform effectively and adapt to changes in the workplace.
- The ability to train, mentor and lead both senior and junior drafter/detailers
Key Skills, Capabilities and Experience
Key skills, capabilities and abilities for the drafting technician are:
- Certified Engineering Technician (C. Tech), Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.), graduate from NSCC Mechanical Drafting program, or other Mechanical Engineering CAD related training/background.
- Extensive knowledge of 2D and 3D drafting software required. Experienced use of SolidWorks, Auto CAD, Auto Desk software an asset.
- 5+ years’ experience required.
- Knowledge of fabrication, machining, and industrial construction a strong asset.
- Experience being involved in estimation processes, subcontracting, and project management a strong asset.
- Willingness and ability to work to a deadline in a fast-paced environment.
- Leadership experience (team lead/supervision/management)
Hours & Benefits
40+ hours per week with medical benefits, dental benefits, group insurance benefits, safety footwear allowance, pension plan and vision care benefits. MacGregor’s offers flexible vacation scheduling as well as 10 paid holidays per year.
Salaried position. Salary TBD based on skill and ability.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining our team, please send your resume to [email protected]
We would like to thank all applicants; however, only those candidates with the required skills and experience will be contacted.
MacGregor’s business versatility can be viewed at www.macgregors.ca
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $28.00-$33.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mclellans Brook, NS B2H 5C7: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- AutoCAD: 1 year (preferred)
- drafting: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person