If you have lived in Vancouver for a while, chances are high you've been to the Vancouver Christmas Market. Now in our 13th season, our authentic outdoor German Christmas Market features unique holiday shopping, seasonal entertainment, and delicious traditional food and drinks. Located in the downtown core of Vancouver, at Jack Poole Plaza, the Christmas Market will be open to the public daily from November 16 to December 24.
Full-Time Employment Opportunity – Assistant Hospitality Coordinator
Vancouver Christmas Market Inc. is seeking a driven, and enthusiastic individual with event-related experience. In collaboration with the Hospitality Coordinator, the Hospitality Assistant Coordinator will oversee beverage service operations and service staff.
A successful candidate for this role is customer service oriented and financially astute. This candidate is a confident leader and efficient planner.
Location: Mix of a home office and a number of set days in office to the end of October. Full time in office & on-site (November – December).
Hours: Contract Full Time from September 15, 2023 – January 15, 2024 (16 weeks). Variable work schedule including evenings and weekends
Reporting to: Hospitality Coordinator
Roles and Responsibilities
- Execute the Christmas Market beverage service concept successfully, along with the VCM team.
- Provide all guests with a positive first impression of the Market by offering superior, individualized guest service.
- Prepare Training Manuals & Resources for all beverage huts, including POS systems and inventory management, upselling & customer service process.
- Create seasonal team schedules using scheduling software to meet the Market’s needs and adequately support levels of guest attendance.
- Coordinate and assist in the recruitment of beverage hut teams.
- Prepare and conduct training for all seasonal employees including Christmas Market knowledge, attitudes & conduct, POS systems handling, upselling & customer service process.
- Coordinate with Hospitality Coordinator in setting up and running daily briefings and weekly full team meetings.
- Assist in the management of inventories related to the beverage sector, evaluate results daily, recommend and implement necessary changes to align with budgets, promotional responses, and attendance levels.
- Coordinate logistics of product deliveries and ensure correct inventory procedures are followed end-to-end.
- Support Management Team with ordering when needed.
- Executing end-of-period reporting on Sales and Inventory levels and quality control.
- Ability to motivate staff towards reaching sales and bonus targets.
- Assist in the management of the team for set-up, during the market and tear down.
- Ability to coordinate team responsibilities & tasks, implement communication lines and establish a functional team operation.
- Supervise daily operational requirements for department and implement efficiencies in team re-scheduling in a timely manner.
- Schedule & manage portable beverage staff during peak times.
- Working closely with the Marketing Coordinator to coordinate any special promotions that require beverage organization/ preparation.
- Plan, direct and coordinate team to ensure adequate resources are always appropriately and efficiently allocated.
- Monitoring guest feedback, ensuring a world-class guest experience. Ability to troubleshoot customer queries confidently and in a timely manner.
- Rectify technological problems regarding POS systems & Wi-Fi.
- Previous experience working in a high-volume beverage service environment preferably for special events.
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in a related field of study (Events Management/Hospitality Management) is preferred.
- Possesses the Serving it Right Certificate (SIR), or willing to obtain.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Commitment to high service level standards.
- Proficiency with software and online tools, specifically Microsoft Office Suite, Square POS, Inventory, and Scheduling Management software.
- Diplomatic approach while working within policies, rules, and procedures.
- Ability to multitask within tight deadlines.
- Experience with scheduling and overseeing the activities of large groups.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing environments and working under pressure.
- Second Language (German) an asset.
- Valid Driver's license, an asset.
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Must be comfortable working outdoors, for long periods of time.
- Contract $15,200 or based on experience.
- Bonus ($2000-$3000): Based on Department sales goals.
How To Apply
Please send RESUME and COVER LETTER
No telephone calls or faxed applications please. We thank all who express interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: Up to $3,800.00 per month
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- North Vancouver, BC V7L 1A4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Hospitality: 1 year (preferred)
- event: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC V6C 0C3