Are you looking to join an organization that is growing and dynamic? What about a high-energy, collaborative environment that rewards hard work?
J.S. Held is a global consulting firm providing technical, scientific, and financial expertise across all assets and value at risk. Our professionals serve as trusted advisors to organizations facing high-stakes events demanding urgent attention, staunch integrity, clear-cut analysis, and an understanding of both tangible and intangible assets. The firm provides a comprehensive suite of services, products, and data that enable clients to navigate complex, contentious, and often catastrophic situations. We have over 100 locations worldwide. We are highly committed to all members of our community, both employees and clients. Our organization focuses on promoting a sense of community and inspiring our people to achieve results that exceed goals.
We are seeking a Civil/Structural Forensic Engineer to join our Forensics team. This is a unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial, highly driven person with a well-rounded skill set to join the Forensics team, whose responsibilities extend beyond those of traditional Civil/Structural Forensic Engineer. The ideal person for this role will need to not only have a strong grasp of valuation, but also be flexible and a strategic thinker able to take on a variety of tasks.
The Team and Job Summary
We are seeking mid to senior level forensic Civil/Structural Forensic Engineers to enhance our already robust team of professionals supporting our clients in Canada. Our engineers routinely perform forensic investigations, provide consultation, prepare and deliver technical papers; and serve as expert witnesses. Our areas of practice include residential, commercial and industrial buildings’ roofing, fenestration, foundation and envelopes; hazard assessments and resulting damage; design and construction defect evaluation; and premise liability evaluations. Assignments will require regular local and regional travel to project sites. Active involvement in professional associations and societies is encouraged and supported.
- Conducts field observations, inspection, data collection, interview and document assessment.
- Prepares forensic investigation reports detailing observations made, tests conducted, structural analysis, and results obtained for the residential and commercial losses.
- Reviews legal documents, pleadings, contracts, etc. in order to identify the underlying issues and factual evidence.
- Works with the forensic team and technicians to determine repair directives and develop repair drawings.
- Collaborates with senior engineers in document review, root cause analysis and standard of care assessment in large construction projects.
- Conducts research and develops technical topics for publication and presentation.
- Engages in client-relations marketing and meets with and presents to peers and clients.
- Maintains high standards and ensure quality of deliverables and oversees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering. (required)
- Master’s degree in Engineering in Civil/Structural/Construction is an asset
- P.Eng license with good standing (required)
- 5-10 years of experience in structural engineering (in structural forensic engineering is an asset)
- Experience conducting damage assessments and forensic investigations (required)
- Experience in engineering design and construction (required)
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills (required)
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are a must
- Fluent in English, French is an asset.
- Computer skills (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- A desire to learn, excel and grow with us and within the profession
- Testimony experience as an engineering expert witness
- 5-10 years of experience as a forensic engineer
Physical and Mental Job Qualifications
- Ability to travel as needed, depending on project assignments.
J.S. Held is dedicated to becoming the global leader in providing multi-disciplinary consulting services to the construction, government, healthcare, industrial, insurance, energy, legal, and technology, communities. We have diverse practice areas including Construction Advisory, Financial Investigations, Forensic Accounting & Economics, Forensic Architecture & Engineering, Surety, Environmental Health & Safety, Equipment, Toxicology, and Building & Property Consulting, among other disciplines. J.S. Held is devoted to recruiting and cultivating top industry talent to build a collaborative and diverse team of experts. We leverage our experience to provide local, cost-efficient solutions and an unrivaled client experience.
Our mission is to serve as trusted, expert advisors to organizations around the world facing high-stakes situations that demand urgent attention, exceptional knowledge, staunch integrity and objective, clear- cut analysis and advice.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
By submitting your application, you acknowledge that you have read the J.S. Held Online Privacy Notice and hereby freely and unambiguously give informed consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of your personal information as required and described therein.
Please explore what we’re all about at www.jsheld.com.
EEO and Job Accommodations
We embrace diversity and our commitment to building a team and environment that fosters professional and personal enrichment is unwavering. We are greater when we are equal!
J.S. Held is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request for a reasonable accommodation, please email [email protected] and include “Applicant Accommodation” within the subject line with your request and contact information.