Are you a database technical expert looking to provide support in the development and implementation of divisional databases?
If so, consider this challenging opportunity with the Labour and Transportation I&IT Cluster.
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy
and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint
pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code
. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
In this role as a Databases Administration and Integration Specialist, you will:
- provide leadership, coordination, and hands-on technical expertise in development and implementation of mission critical integrated application databases and data integration, implementation, maintenance services with key focus on Mainframe DB2, IMS and Cloud databases and z/OS operating system.
- provide database administration, data integration, maintenance, and support of mission-critical Applications and Data Warehouse Solutions
- lead and coordinate data management and data integration technical tasks in the data development lifecycle
- be responsible for Transaction control, problem management, capacity management, performance tuning and modeling
- provide hands-on technical expertise to the data and information design, development, integration, deployment, and ongoing operation of large integrated business systems, data management, data integration, data warehouse solutions and technologies (ETL/ELT/CDC - ADF, Databricks, Informatica PowerCenter, and GoldenGate)
- be responsible for hands-on technical expertise in Mainframe DB programming (PL/I, JCL, COBOL, Assembler etc.) and enhancement for complex/cross function DBs, data integration and interfaces planning and testing, including batch jobs (CA tools), Endevor Envs and production control
- provide technical leadership and consultation in the data management and Enterprise Data Warehouse development, maintenance, and support of all systems, in public/private/hybrid clouds such as Azure, AWS, Oracle, IBM Cloud, and others
- coordinate and lead various project teams in the development, implementation and maintenance of cost-effective information technology solutions and services for the ministry's driver, vehicle, carrier, and related systems
- provide specialized programming solutions for the ministry's data/database information systems
• provide senior business analysis and systems/computer technology consulting support in implementing information technology solutions• Provide database technical expertise in the development and implementation of databases
- Provide on-going technical support in the maintenance of databases
- Advise and guide clients and system development staff on techniques and technologies
- Consult with clients and analyze data processing, management and communication interfaces
- Develop project plans, policies and standards for operating issues
- Provide technical advice and guidance on new database management tools
- Knowledge and experience in database management and information architecture theory, principles and techniques to analyze requirements and assess options
• Demonstrated knowledge of data modelling techniques and information engineering tools to analyze requirements• Knowledge and experience of application development and implementation in a multi-platform environment, including mainframe, mid-range, and workstation computer system technologies (on-line and batch computer systems for Multiple Virtual Storage (MVS), IMS, PL/I, JCL, COBOL, and DB2 environments and related application software and networks), mainframe databases (IMS, DB2 on z/OS), mid-range databases (Oracle and SQL Server on Unix/Linux/Windows) and Cloud (Azure, AWS, Oracle, and IBM Cloud), Data Integration (PL/SQL, PL/1, JCL, ETL/ELT/CDC - ADF, Databricks, Informatica PowerCenter, and GoldenGate), Internet and emerging technologies
- You have knowledge and expertise in DataOps toolsets, including big data, data lake, and others.
- You have knowledge of theory and principles of systems design and development, and related methods, techniques, practices, and standards.
- You have the ability to interpret and apply administrative policies and directives to ensure compliance of recommendations on acquisition of technology and services.
- Demonstrated knowledge of application and data base management software, data communications development methodology and programming languages to develop data storage and retrieval techniques
- Demonstrated knowledge of testing and implementation methods and practices to design and conduct testing procedures
- Knowledge of information technology policies, directives and guidelines
- Problem solving skills to analyze and develop database application systems and data communications to improve operational efficiency
- Analytical skills to identify options and provide advice and guidance on strategies
- Evaluative skills to develop project plans, data management structures and test databases
- Analytical skills to research and assess new information engineering and data management techniques and methodologies
- Oral communication skills to interview clients, explain processes and review technical considerations
- Written communication skills to prepare systems documentation, draft policies, standards and user manuals
- Interpersonal skills to negotiate contracts for services with vendors