Location - SaskPower Estevan (Shand)
Permanent - Full Time
At SaskPower, we generate more than just electricity for Saskatchewan people. We offer some of the best jobs in the province.
Our challenging careers will help you grow while being surrounded by a fully-committed team, committed to safety, openness, collaboration and accountability. If you’re someone who thrives in a team environment and doesn’t shy away from a good challenge, join us!
Apply no later than 07/21/2023 to be considered for this opportunity.
This is a safety-sensitive position, the successful candidate(s) will be required to successfully complete mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing to comply with SaskPower’s Fit for Duty Policy.
The employee in this classification, on assigned shifts, performs a variety of tasks associated with the steam plant operation, fuel supply, emission control systems and other tasks associated with a thermal power station.
Operate, monitor, troubleshoot, clean and perform routine servicing and maintenance of assigned plant equipment, including the water treatment plant and ash removal system
- Perform routine procedures to clean and ignite burners of gas, oil or pulverized coal-fired boilers where required
- Receive and document fuel supply shipments
- Arrange for appropriate permits and perform switching, as authorized, in accordance with the Standard Protection Code
- Operate, monitor and troubleshoot potable water and sewage systems where required to meet provincial and federal regulations
- Provide assistance to shift personnel in the operation of boilers and associated equipment
- Conduct inspections, analyze and diagnose equipment malfunctions and take corrective action, as required
- Participate in preventative and corrective maintenance programs
- Compile and maintain records detailing work performed, problems encountered, resources used, equipment malfunctions and/or corrective action taken and prepare various reports of information related to plant operation
- Inform incoming shift personnel and other persons concerned of matters requiring attention and the operating status of plant equipment
- Adhere to applicable safety and environmental standards, regulations and corporate commitments
- Participate in internal and external continuous educational and professional development, including driver’s licensing upgrades as required by the position
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area
- Utilize SaskPower’s computer operating environment as required by the position
- Direct, coach, train, orient and work effectively with other staff
- Other related duties, as assigned
Fourth Class Power Engineer’s Certificate and valid Fourth-Class License, or equivalent
- Possess the ability to make and implement sound decisions under emergent conditions
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position
- Ability to cooperate and deal tactfully with others
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to update and maintain applicable licences, as required
- Valid Class 5 driver’s licence
This position falls within the scope of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), Local 2067.
Candidates under consideration may be required to participate in an assessment process consisting of any/all of the following: interview, abilities test, case study and/or presentation.
SaskPower offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Diversity and inclusion are also a priority for us. At SaskPower, we are committed to creating an inclusive workplace and having a workforce representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to selections based on merit and to the full participation of diversity groups. These groups include the four equity groups recognized by the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission: Indigenous Peoples, Members of Visible Minority Groups / Racialized Groups, Persons with Disabilities and Women in Under-Represented Roles, as well as LGBTQ persons and Newcomers to Saskatchewan. Visit our website for details.