The OSCO Construction Group has been operating on PEI since 2004. It’s PEI concrete operations include Schurman’s Concrete, with locations in Summerside and Charlottetown, and MacLean’s Ready Mix, with locations in Montague and Souris. In addition to supplying concrete to the PEI market, OSCO operates Gulf Coast Cartage, an aggregate trucking company, and FCC Electrical, an electrical contractor.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager while taking daily direction from local PEI Operations, this position is responsible for providing complete HR and Safety support including full cycle onboarding, performance management, employee relations as well as implementation of safety policies and procedures. With a heavy focus on recruiting, the ideal candidate has a passion for sourcing and selection, using traditional and innovative methods, while leveraging local community and institutional partnerships. The successful candidate must possess an operational mindset and understand that HR and Safety initiatives must be aligned with operational goals. The HR & Safety Coordinator will excel in supporting employees and management to meet human resource and safety standards.
This position is based in Charlottetown, PEI and will require regular travel to Summerside and Montague locations as well as jobsites in surrounding areas.
- Support managers, supervisors and employees with human resource and safety related functions and inquiries
- Assist with employee relations matters and provide recommendations to management
- Full-cycle recruitment including workforce planning, candidate sourcing, screening and interviews to ensure a strong person-job match
- Complete employee onboarding process including HR and Safety orientations
- Prepare employee communications and other documents as required
- Build partnerships within the community to maintain candidate pipelines throughout PEI
- Maintain employee files using the Human Capital Management (Oracle) system and provide system support to employees with self-service portals
- Support Safety team with coordinating training, emergency preparedness planning, safety bulletin board updates, incident investigations, disability management and other safety related functions
- Conduct regular safety inspections and toolbox talks as well as completion of hazard assessments and job safety analysis as needed
- Ensure safety documentation including logbooks are updated and continuously maintained.
- Additional duties as required
- Previous HR and/or Safety experience considered an asset
- General working knowledge of legislated requirements in applicable jurisdictions
- Professional designations (CPHR, CSS, CSO, NCSO, CRSP) would be considered an asset
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently while maintaining collaborative relationships with operations
- A detail-oriented focus with strong analytical expertise
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office programs
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills coupled with proven ability to work well in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Travel throughout PEI on a regular basis
- Effective communication skills with the ability to adjust communication style when required
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $45,000.00-$50,000.00 per year
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
As a member of the OSCO Construction Group, we offer a comprehensive compensation package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, RRSP and tax-free savings account options. Additionally, we offer educational bursaries to children of employees, health & wellness programming, celebratory events and employee sport team sponsorships.
The origins of the OSCO Construction Group go back to 1955 when Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd. was founded in Saint John, New Brunswick. Since that time, the OSCO Construction Group has grown to encompass four main operating sectors: Steel , Concrete , Construction and Corporate . Within these sectors lie an ever-expanding number of construction-related companies and divisions, serving a growing market area and employing over twelve hundred employees.