WhiteWater makes products, but we are a service business at our heart, which means we are a people business. In this way, we excel and create value for our clients by listening to their needs, collaborating to develop solutions, problem-solving and attending to the details. Our culture, as you would expect, reflects these traits. We are a diverse group of experts, from creative designers to talented engineers. Whatever expertise we bring from all over the world, we listen and learn from each other because we are aligned with a clearly understood purpose. Together, we create fun for families globally. Are you interested in starting an exciting career with WhiteWater? Apply today!
Whitewater's FRP Manufacturing department is looking for a candidate to join our FRP Manufacturing department in Richmond in the following role:
Position : Senior Structural Engineer, Composites
Shift : Full time, 40 hours a week
Department : FRP Manufacturing
Location : Richmond, BC, Canada
Reports to : Manager, Composites Development Engineering
Whitewater’s FRP Manufacturing team is looking for a Senior Structural Engineer, Composites to join their team! Reporting to the Manager, Composites Development Engineering, you will be an integral member of the team and responsible to support the manufacturing by composite design & analysis of new and existing products and components. The technical support will be provided to functional groups involved with the entire spectrum of the product lifecycle. Daily duties can include information gathering, performing research, conducting experiments, prototyping, consulting, designing, and documenting activities throughout analysis to find timely, efficient, cost-effective solutions to manufacturing challenges that arise.
Determine design specifications in response to composites component requirements and ensure conformity within all WWI composites production.
- Review, check, approve, and release engineering deliverables and documents for new and standard products following best engineering and design practices.
- Assess governing requirements and lead efforts in producing engineering deliverables to ensure requirements are complied.
- Create and/or modify engineering and product designs in SolidWorks and perform reviews/approvals.
- Perform site visits as required to evaluate engineering and design-related issues for composites products to determine the root cause and provide corrective actions based on analytical reports generated.
- Review ongoing composites product performance at various customer sites and formulate ideas for improvement opportunities.
- Contribute and supervise prototyping and the fabrication procedure of composites parts.
- Provide structural technical support to client and project teams as necessary.
- Lead and participate in risk assessments (such as hazard analysis and Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis – DFMEA) as necessary.
- Perform stress analysis and run simulation (FEA) as necessary.
- Take ownership in development of composites design and manufacturing standards, test plans, and improvement processes.
- Write, publish, approve, and support the execution of Engineering Change Requests (ECR), Engineering Change Orders (ECO), Non-Compliance Reporting (NCR), and Opportunity for Improvement (OFI) procedures.
- Contribute to the development of departmental collaboration and efforts to improve productivity and efficiency. Take part in metric generation and improvement initiatives.
- Determine and follow all plant and laboratory specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and safety practices.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
Minimum educational requirement: bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering (preferably with composites specialization) with minimum 8 years of experience (at least 5 years in manufacturing environment). Post graduate degree is an asset.
- Eng. Designation or eligibility to register with APEGBC.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal and written form with capabilities to lead and run technical meetings is required.
- Strong knowledge of composites design, analysis, fabrication drawing production, laminate schedules, manufacturing, testing/evaluation, and other procedures.
- Strong knowledge and experience about composite manufacturing processes such as Hand Layup, Spray Layup, Open Mold (OM), Resin Transfer Molding (RTM) and Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding (VARTM).
- Strong understanding on the chemical and mechanical properties of conventional polymers such as polyester, vinyl ester, HDPE, PMMA, etc.
- Strong understanding about glass constituent material such as chopped strand mats, continuous filament mat, woven roving, etc.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and PDM systems – experience with other 3D modeling software packages will be considered.
- Proficiency with FEA modelling and solving for pre and post analysis.
- Strong knowledge and experience of material and process qualification.
- Experienced in creation and interpreting of polymer composite drawings.
- Knowledge about repair of composites components considered as asset.
- Knowledge of APQP & PPAP is strong asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada with minimum to no travel restrictions.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Ability to develop and maintain effective internal working relationships with all levels in the organization and external clients.
- Able to work both in a team/matrix environment and independently with minimal supervision.
- Creative individual capable of thinking outside-the-box for finding solutions to problems.
- Strong problem solving, technical writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
Accountability – We do what we say
- Collaboration – We work well together
- Customer Focus – We know and respond to our customers
- Communication – We listen to and understand each other
- Authenticity – We are honest and trust each other
- Resilience – We deal effectively with pressure, are persistent and optimistic
- Flexibility & Adaptability – We are willing and able to respond to changing circumstances
WhiteWater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the diversity of all employees and applicants and are strongly committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.
We thank all the candidates who take the time and energy to apply. Given the volume of applications, it makes responding personally to each applicant difficult, but please know we are grateful for your interest. We look forward to connecting with you through this search or future ones. All the best in your job search.