Specialist, Virtual Health
In accordance with the Mission, Vision, Values and strategic direction of PHSA safety, including both patient and employee safety, is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA. As such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Specialist, Virtual Health leads complex research and analysis to support the Office of Virtual Health (OVH) team in leading PHSA virtual health initiatives. The scope of practice of the Specialist includes gaining extensive knowledge in the area of virtual health in order to provide technical expertise and support the overall goals, objectives and operations of OVH. The Specialist is engaged in multiple initiatives, and supports the OVH team with people readiness planning within specific projects, business requirements gathering (i.e. data, clinical workflow/business process and functional needs) and supporting the execution of projects. The Specialist leads change management and process design within the VH portfolio, and is a lead resource to support process improvements and new initiatives specific to Virtual Health. This role focuses on people and processes including work flow, business processes, people readiness as well as systems and technology. The Specialist provides leadership and acts as an escalation point for Business Analysts to assist in resolving complex problems.
What you’ll do
- Coordinates business requirements by collaborating with the OVH team to engage clinical/program operation owners, key stakeholders and subject matter experts. Uses methods such as interviews,
environmental scanning, document reviews, process mapping, business process descriptions, “use case” scenarios and workflow analysis.
- Provides leadership on technical work streams and processes and supports and mentors the OVH Business Analyst to ensure requirements are gathered and documented in a meaningful and useful way.
- Provides specialized analysis of operational problems and recommends innovative solutions by critically evaluating information gathered from multiple sources, reconciling conflicts, decomposing high-level information into details, abstracting up from low-level information to a general understanding, distinguishing user requests from the underlying true needs, and driving and challenging business assumptions.
- Facilitates consensus on issues, including business design features, program changes, data requirements, privacy issues and reports. Provides information on the technical issues and constraints and prepares in depth business and analytical reports.
- Develops business requirements specifications, project proposals, business cases, project summaries and other related documentation using standard templates.
- Coordinates and supports stakeholder engagement in project planning and implementation.
- Develops plans for projects to ensure on time delivery of projects and support adoption, optimization and sustainment.
- Analyzes data (qualitative and quantitative) to inform evaluation of Virtual Health initiatives and summarizes the data and analysis for inclusion in Evaluation reports.
- Collaborates with key internal and external partners, including IMITS (Clinical Regional Solutions, Enterprise Architecture, Security, Tech Services), Privacy, Supply Chain, potential vendors and vendors that have contracts with PHSA.
- The Specialist will consult and help navigate the vendor selection and contracting process by providing
specialist support including requirements gathering, documentation and vendor analysis.
- Works with IMITS to design and execute processes for on-going market research of virtual health vendors to ensure OVH is always updated about new and innovative solutions.
- Performs feasibility studies, workload efficiency analyses, including identifying system deficiencies, operational inefficiencies, and methods to enhance business functions.
- Participates in various operational and project committees and teams to facilitate and lead various
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Health Informatics, or a related discipline plus a minimum of five (5) years’ recent related experience including three (3) years in a leadership role. Experience in Virtual Health and healthcare preferred.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology.
- Demonstrated experience organizing and writing application related documentation and proposals. Ability to understand and clearly relate technical information to internal and external members of the organization. Physical abilities to perform the duties of the position. Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment, utilizing your advanced critical thinking capabilities. Understands business analysis and project management methodology. Superior ability in presentation, facilitation, negotiation and issue management/escalation. Ability to facilitate and encourage cooperation between diverse operational groups and skill sets. Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills. Strong skills and experience in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS Project, Access), SharePoint and Visio, Crystal reports and other Business Intelligence Tools. Experience with main stream project planning software and tools preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-time
Salary Range: $72,445 - $104,139 /year. The starting salary for this position would be determined with consideration of the successful candidate’s relevant education and experience, and would be in alignment with the provincial compensation reference plan. Salary will be prorated accordingly for part time roles.
Location: 1333 W Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6H 1G9
Closing date: Applications accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work: 0800 – 1600 (Monday to Friday)
Requisition # 152677E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 27, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at [email protected]
and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.