Req ID: 135215
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Northern Zone, Aberdeen Hospital
Department: IMIT HIS Admitting & Registration ARH
Type of Employment: Casual Casual Relief (3% FTE)
Status: Admin Professionals Position
Posting Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there's a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you'll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
Reporting to the Manager of Health Information Services, the Admitting/Registration Clerk will perform clerical procedures related to chart processing control.
Specific responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Identify patients for admission/registration by following approved procedures (i.e. obtaining health card at point of registration)
- Maintain the accuracy of the Master Patient Index (MPI) in Meditech by collecting/confirming patient demographic and insurance information upon registration for each episode of care.
- Obtain insurance information on patients and input coverage numbers into NShIS and ensure patient signs all appropriate forms at time of registration for the current episode of care
- Issue a facility generated health card number as appropriate
- Assign patients to beds as advised by unit
- Incumbent utilizes NShIS
- Completes daily registration checks, to ensure data integrity is being maintained at all times
- Ensures data integrity is maintained within the Meditech system in accordance with provincial standards
- Responsible to perform day to day activities within Health Information Services as required
- Provide health records department with admission notifications
- Receive and process telephone inquiries
- Maintain appropriate registers and distribute to appropriate agencies as required
- Maintain confidentiality of all communications, written and verbal
- Process all types of patient/client documentation
- Cross training with Central Registry, Admitting and Switchboard is required
- Responsible to perform other related duties as assigned
Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent plus completion of a recognized office procedure/secretarial program, or 1 year previous clerical/administration experience is required
- Graduate of a recognized one year secretarial or business course
- Medical Terminology course
- Proficient keyboarding skills with clear demonstrated knowledge of Windows
- Good interpersonal and communication skills – a high degree of tact, judgment, and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently, assess situations and seek resolution if possible, in accordance with hospital policies and procedures
- Ability to work in an area with frequent interruptions
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position, including bending, carrying, walking, pushing and sitting for long periods of time
- Incumbent will be required to pass a written skills test and interview
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Casual relief position
Schedule will include days evening and weekend shifts. Holiday shift coverage is required
Once You've Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
As per the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Protocol in High-Risk Settings, Nova Scotia Health requires all team members to be fully vaccinated by November 30th, 2021.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify.