ABOUT THE POSITION
The Regional Manager is responsible for managing the overall Regional operations including leasing, building operations, and capital projects and promoting the Hazelview advantage of being the preferred landlord. The Regional Manager will be responsible for 2,000 – 2,500 with a staff of 50 – 100 Team Members throughout their Regional portfolios.
They lead in coaching & developing their Regional team, Property Managers, Community Managers and Building Manager throughout their portfolio, and are accountable for driving the financial goals while having all units in their market meet all quality standards. They will also be responsible for building local strategies to manage performance by knowing their Team Members, customers/Residents, markets & communities.
The Regional Manager is responsible for creating and maintaining alignment and collaborative relationships with each of the Business Units in Hazelview Properties, including Quality Assurance, Resident Relations, Sales & Leasing, Facilities Management, In-Suite and Finance teams. It is critical that alongside their Team Members, they respond to and provide accurate and timely information to each of the shared services groups in the organization. Including People Management; Information Technology and Legal.
- Ensure that a superior level of co-operation, service and support is provided to residents
- Ensure building standards are maintained to a high level and building staff are performing duties in a professional manner
- Ability to resolve resident complaints and concerns in a timely fashion with a view to driving Resident retention through a superior level of customer satisfaction
- Support and train site-level staff on Hazelview's standards of Customer Service
Operations and Leasing:
- Oversee and manage assigned property management functions to improve efficiency and reduce operating costs
- Inspect the properties on a weekly/daily basis to monitor performance & ensure properties are maintained to Hazelview's standards
- Propose and discuss possible renovations or improvements with Asset Management
- Obtain proper authorization before engaging contractors
- Obtain quotes or bids from contractors for repairs, renovations and maintenance
- Ensure that work has been satisfactorily completed and approve invoices
- Ensure standard processes & procedures in place to resolve issues relating to repairs and maintenance in a timely fashion
- Ability to coordinate after hours’ emergencies as required
- Responsible for maintaining Occupancy/Vacancy levels at the mandate set by Hazelview
- Have knowledge of market rents and ability to set asking rents based on market conditions
- Have working knowledge of legislation pertaining to the Rental Housing Industry, Human Rights Code and Labor Standards Act
Leadership and Management:
- Directly manage Regional team including: Regional Administrator, Property Managers, Area Managers, Regional Maintenance Manager and on-site Team Members including: Building Managers, Maintenance Associates and Cleaners
- Responsible for planning, assigning and directing work; for interviewing, hiring and training Team Members; Team Member relations; mentoring and coaching
- Responsible for ensuring that Team members fulfill their responsibilities when providing timely and accurate information to other departments as requested (e.g. Asset Management, Capital & Development, Customer Experience, Finance, People & Culture, Marketing, etc.)
- Analyze and resolve work problems, or assist Team Members in solving work problems
- Initiate or suggest plans to motivate workers to achieve work goals
Financial and Budgets
- Prepare annual operating and capital budgets for each property
- Accountable for delivering the financial results and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) against annual budget targets; overall financial and administrative review of assigned properties
- Review of Monthly Operating Statements; preparation and submission of Variance Reports; preparation of Monthly Business Reviews with action items and commitments; including for each Property Manager and/or Area Manager and their respective portfolios to the Director of Operations, Asset Management and the Finance Team
- Development & execution of Underperforming Asset Plans (UPAs) where appropriate and as requested by the Director of Operations to ensure that the financial goals and objectives in the Region are being achieved
- Ensure that PayScan is managed & maintained throughout the Region in a thorough, complete & detailed manner and, on a timely basis, meeting all Finance Department deadlines
- Review weekly vacancies/ availability reports; Review rents to ensure "minimum" market value
- Oversee collection of rents (and serve notices to vacate)
- Responsible for ensuring rent rolls are accurate
- Review and approve resident leases and renewal leases
- Oversee and ensure compliance with local housing laws and regulations
Education & Experience
- Preferably a Business degree with a major in a real estate discipline
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a senior role
- Real Estate Designation (e.g. CPM) would be an asset
- Proven track record of operating a portfolio at a high level, maximizing revenues and reducing expenses
- Proven sales and leasing skills as well as excellent customer relations skills
- Proven ability to manage a region as an effective business model
- Ability to negotiate with contractors and suppliers to achieve the best pricing available
- Strong knowledge of building systems
- Proven ability to manage a team as well as work independently
- Ability to take initiative in order to keep a high occupancy rate
- Proven track record of following through to achieve results
- Proven ability to liaise with people at all levels of an organization
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) and Yardi would be an asset
- A commitment to "best in Class" Customer Service
- A professional demeanor with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates a high degree of integrity, diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to work and act independently using good judgment when assessing difficult situations
- Ability to remain calm and focused in high pressure situations
- Superior organizational and time management skills in order to multi-task/prioritize and work under tight timelines
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities
- Self-motivated individual who is proactive, takes initiative, goal and results oriented and work independently without a lot of direction
- Flexible and adaptable to constantly changing needs within the organization
- Ability to speak other languages is considered an asset.
- Actively championing diversity, equity and inclusion to create an environment of belonging
ABOUT THE COMPANY
At Hazelview Properties we believe that apartments
are more than bricks and mortar - they are an experience.
Started in 1999 with one small building in Oakville Ontario, we now manage a portfolio of over 200 multi-family residential buildings throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia.
Hazelview Properties takes pride in ownership and an active hands-on approach to how we manage our communities. We are committed to fostering the long-term growth of our employees, communities and the investments we make for our clients. It’s one of the things we’ve always believed in, creating value for people and places.
At Hazelview, we know our greatest asset is our people. We go all out to build and nurture a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where individual experiences and collective layers of difference are brought together to achieve greatness. We invest where we see potential, building for now and generations to come.
Vision: “We create value for people and places”.
Our Core Values:
- Ownership Mindset
- Having Fun
Hazelview Property Services Inc. is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. If you require an accommodation to participate in any aspect of the recruitment process or to perform essential job functions, please let us know. We will work with you to accommodate your needs and in accordance with all applicable legislation. Information related to accommodation requirements will be addressed confidentially.
Our vision for sustainability is to foster happy, healthy, thriving communities where we operate. We recognize that it is the responsibility of Hazelview to create an inclusive environment that respects the dignity and diversity of all team members. To learn more, please visit the following link: https://www.hazelviewproperties.com/about/sustainability
Customer Service Skills
Attention to Detail
Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Team Player: Works well as a member of a group