theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app 'theScore' is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore's sports betting app 'theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino' delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company's home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
About the Role & Team
As part of the Sportsbook Core team, you will be working alongside smart, friendly, and dedicated Engineers and Product Managers. Our mission is to build and maintain the internal services that power theScore Bet platform. The Sportsbook Core team builds the gateway into theScore's internal betting ecosystem, offering mobile and web applications everything they need to power theScore Bet. This includes server driven Betslips, fully customizable betting marketplaces, account details and more. We are responsible for the ingestion and distribution of thousands of betting updates every second in real time to empower the user to place bets at the best possible odds. We also manage the full lifecycle of a bet from placement to settlement, respecting a user's responsible gaming limits while also financially adjusting accounts as quickly as possible to ensure the best user experience. We take pride in delivering highly reliable and scalable solutions that give users the best experience. We're always looking for ways to not only improve our knowledge but also share knowledge throughout the company.
About the Work
- Work with our preferred technology stack (Primarily Elixir, Phoenix, Phoenix LiveView)
- Develop, scale, and optimize gRPC endpoints, GraphQL APIs, and SQL queries
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity, often presenting proposals for solutions to leadership and other teams for feedback
- Navigate through highly sensitive and regulated systems in our codebase; ensuring highest level of code quality and test coverage
- Collaborate & educate the team in a system designed to continually define and improve our internal style guide, maintainability and best practices
- Participate in the design, architecture, and delivery of new features in a collaborative agile/scrum environment
- Collaborate with other teams and various stakeholders to build integrations with other internal services.
- Setting up monitoring and alerting with DataDog, Bugsnag, PagerDuty, Splunk
- Continually strive and be on the lookout for a more scalable system by identifying bottlenecks and areas of high risk
- Support teams developing features in our codebase by helping define the required work, assisting in specs, as well as identifying edge cases and performance improvements through code review
- Provide mentorship and be a resource for education to all our developers
- Other duties as required.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, algorithms and software design
- Strong grasp and experience with production systems at scale. Experience identifying areas of improvement in a production environment through load testing and monitoring
- Experience with on-call rotations for a production service
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate clearly with various stakeholders, add and maintain documentation and work with other team members
- Experience with modern web framework and API development (Phoenix, Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Django, Laravel, Node)
- A strong grasp and experience with relational databases; including PostgreSQL
- Experience with kubernetes
- Comfortable working in the terminal
- Experience with Git and GitHub or similar
- Proficiency within an editor of your choice
- Experience with testing frameworks such as ExUnit, RSpec, Jest, pytest or equivalent.
- A strong grasp and experience with relational databases; including PostgreSQL and MySQL
- Experience with background job processing (Oban, Exq, Sidekiq, Celery, Beanstalk).
- Experience with asynchronous event handling infrastructure (Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, AWS SQS/SNS, Google Cloud Pub/Sub)
- NICE TO HAVE: Experience with Kafka, building GraphQL APIs (Absinthe),hexagonal architecture, Domain Driven Development, contribution to open source software, experience working at startups, passion for sports and/or esports.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation package
- Fun, relaxed work environment
- Education and conference reimbursements.
- Parental leave top up
- Opportunities for career progression and mentoring others
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.