Join the Award-Winning S.M.A.R.T. Tutoring Team of Teachers!
During the pandemic we partnered with the Simcoe County District School Board (SCDSB) to provide in-home tutoring services to elementary and high school students who were struggling with Mathematics and Literacy. This demand for academic support has not gone away. Parents are reporting the effects of Covid closures on their children's academics in high numbers.
Because of this, we're expanding our team of qualified Teachers and Teacher-Candidates to continue to meet the needs of our students and fill the gaps in what was lost over the pandemic.
We're Recruiting Elementary and High School Teachers to Tutor in the Following:
- Grade 4 - 6 Mathematics and Language (Reading, Writing)
- Grade 7 - 10 Mathematics
- Grade 7 - 10 Language Arts and/or English (Literacy, Reading, Writing)
- Grade 11 - 12 Mathematics (Functions, Data Management, Calculus)
S.M.A.R.T. Tutoring Makes the Connection between Tutors and Students Easy!
If you're looking to tutor, we have students for you! Students are matched to Tutors based on their grade and subject, location, and availability. S.M.A.R.T. Tutors focus on their tutoring objetives and the progression of their students. Our administration team handles the rest: advertising, invoicing, payments, and customer care concerns.
What is Tutoring?
- Work with the same students, following the Ontario Curriculum, on a regular weekly basis.
- Review/ preview grade-appropriate concepts, teach short lessons, and facilitate relevant learning activities to assist student understanding.
- Teach study strategies and test preparation strategies.
- Collaborate with a team of teachers and access shared resources.
- Respond to emails and submit monthly documentation when it is due.
What are the Requirements to Tutor?
- Bachelor of Education (or currently working on)
- Knowledge of the Ontario Curriculum
- Ontario College of Teachers Certification
- Availability to start immediately and work throughout the school year in Simcoe County (Ontario, Canada)
What Skills are Needed to Tutor?
- Communication and interpersonal skills to confidently explain information
- Administrative and organizational skills to manage time and meet deadlines
- Computer skills to complete documentation (Word format) and respond to emails
- Responsibility to understand and work independently within an outlined framework
- Teamwork skills to collaborate and contribute to the S.M.A.R.T. Tutoring community and its unity
Tutor in Your Local Area - We Service all of Simcoe County.
Your time is important to us. S.M.A.R.T. Tutors work in their local areas, so that they don’t spend a lot of time on the road. We have in-home tutoring opportunities in the following regions:
- Barrie NE/ Oro-Medonte (Horseshoe Valley, Shanty Bay)
- Barrie NW/ Springwater (Midhurst, Minesing)
- Barrie SW/ Essa (Angus, Borden, Thornton)
- Barrie SE/ Stroud
- Bradford West Gwillimbury
- Innisfil (Alcona, Cookstown)
What are the Tutoring Hours Like?
- Set your own tutoring schedule and tutor 3 - 15 hours per week
- Tutoring typically happens after school (September – June) 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Summer Review/ Preview Sessions (July - August) 9:00 am – 9:00 pm
S.M.A.R.T. Tutors must be available to start immediately and be able to commit their time (minimum three hours per week) to the end of the 2023/ 2024 school year (June, 2024). Summer tutoring opportunities will be offered to those who work with us throughout the school year.
What About the Pay?
It is important to us that S.M.A.R.T. Tutors receive a competitive rate that reflects today’s cost of living. Our in-home tutors are paid $25 - $30 per 50-minute session.
S.M.A.R.T. Tutors also benefit from our exclusive Teacher Referral Program, our Content Writing Program, our Wellness Program, and their tutor-related tax right-offs including fuel expenses.
We Invite All Qualified Teachers and Teacher-Candidates to Apply!
Only qualified teachers and teacher-candidates need apply. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply directly through Indeed.
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Salary: $25.00-$30.00 per hour
- Company events
- Flexible schedule
- Wellness program
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Barrie, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have, or are you working on, a Bachelor Degree in Education?
- Teaching or Tutoring: 1 year (preferred)
- Ontario College of Teachers Certification (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-18