Before You Apply, Please Note:
- Do Not Call: We kindly request that you refrain from making phone inquiries regarding your application status. We will only contact candidates who have been shortlisted for further consideration.
- Local Candidates: To be eligible for this position, applicants must reside locally within our specified area.
- In-Person Interview: Qualified candidates should be prepared to attend an in-person interview at our head office, conveniently located in Nanaimo, BC.
- Pre-Screening Questions: Please complete all the pre-screening questions; Your application won't be considered otherwise.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in adhering to these guidelines. Thank you for your interest in joining our team.
Hazelwood Finance, a division of The Hazelwood Group, is seeking a full-time Payroll/Accounts Payable Specialist to join our team in Nanaimo, BC. This is a great opportunity to get on board with a growing and entrepreneurial local company that works within the construction, manufacturing, and real estate development industries.
Please note that travel will be required within the local Nanaimo area, so a vehicle is required.
Benefits of Employment – Why work at Hazelwood?
- Comprehensive group benefits (premiums are 100% employer-paid).
- RRSP matching.
- Short-term and long-term disability plans.
- Priority access to Telus Health Virtual Care (access to a doctor 24/7 anywhere in Canada).
- Strong team environment that encourages and financially supports continuing education and career advancement.
- Employee & Family Assistance Program.
- Annual financial donations to volunteer organizations directly supported by our employees.
- $26 to $30 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications.
Working closely with the Payroll Supervisor and the CFO, the Payroll/Accounts Payable Specialist will be responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely processing of payroll for multiple companies within the Hazelwood Group while also managing accounts payable tasks efficiently. The successful candidate will possess strong organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail, and a commitment to adhering to payroll and accounting standards.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a similar role preferred.
- Two years post-secondary education in the Certified Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP), or Level 1 & 2 from the National Payroll Institute or be actively working toward the designation with expected completion within 2 years of employment.
- Proven experience in payroll processing and accounts payable.
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word, Excel and e-mail required.
- Clear written and verbal communications.
- Good time management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Good data entry skills.
- Work well in a team environment.
- Able to maintain confidential information.
- Demonstrated knowledge of clerical accounting and bookkeeping procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll processing procedures.
- Knowledge of standard office procedures and practices.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
The Hazelwood Group is a privately owned, Nanaimo-based organization comprised of Hazelwood Construction Services, Hazelwood Properties, K2 Stone, SCS Manufacturing, Jewel Holdings, Momentum Design Build, Baywood Glass, Matakana Scaffolding, and GeoBreak Solutions. Our related companies work within the construction, manufacturing, and real estate development industries.
Thank you for considering a career opportunity with The Hazelwood Group. We appreciate your interest in joining our team. Before you proceed with your application, please take note of the following important points:
Application Submission: The submission of your resume does not guarantee an interview or an actual transfer. Our hiring process is designed to identify the most qualified candidates who align with our organization's needs.
Minimum Requirements: We encourage qualified applicants to apply for our open positions. However, to be considered, you must meet the minimum requirements related to the skills and qualifications specified in the job posting.
Legally Entitled to Work in Canada: Please be aware that you must be legally entitled to work in Canada to apply for a position with The Hazelwood Group. Our organization does not possess a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) that would support the hiring of foreign workers.
Acknowledgment: We sincerely appreciate the interest of all applicants in pursuing career opportunities with The Hazelwood Group. However, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that only those candidates selected for an interview will receive a response to their application.
We look forward to considering your application if you meet the qualifications for our current job openings. Your interest in our organization is valued, and we wish you success in your job search.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $26.00-$30.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Are you currently located in the Nanaimo area?
- Do you have access to reliable transportation?
- When could you start?
- What's your availability to come in for an interview?
- Please include your email address if it is not currently on your resume.
- Payroll/Accounts Payable: 3 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person