Location: #102 4706 48 Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 6J4
Closing Date: Until Suitable Candidate is Found
Position Status: Permanent, Full Time (40 hours/week)
Rupertsland Institute (RLI) is an affiliate of the Métis Nation of Alberta, and has a triple mandate in education, training, and research. With a decentralized network of 10 employment services centres, in addition to two mobile service units, RLI designs and delivers training and education services to more than 100,000 Alberta Métis.
The RLI Vision is: “A Skilled and Knowledgeable, Self-Reliant Métis Nation.”
The RLI Mission is: “To enhance the self-sufficiency and well-being of Alberta Métis through quality education, training, and research.”
For more information about RLI and its services and programs, visit us at www.rupertsland.org
Rupertsland Institute is recruiting for a Post-Secondary Education (PSE) Advisor in Red Deer. The PSE Advisor will evaluate Métis students’ abilities and interests through one-on-one interviews, and individual academic planning. The PSE Advisor will also act as a liaison between students and other post-secondary student service professionals. The PSE Advisor will work with students to ensure that all prerequisites are completed and identify any barriers that may hinder student success. The PSE Advisor will work with students on an on-going basis in developing a solutions-based approach in achieving academic success. This may include, but is not limited to, referring students to additional RLI student services.
- Assist students with funding applications and advise applicants of other resources, including award programs that target Métis individuals. Provides ongoing support to students
- Identifies potential areas where students may need additional support and makes appropriate referrals to other student service professionals and community supports
- Offers an overview of campus life, learning, and expectations in a Post-Secondary setting.
· Assists students in managing arising issues, such as unexpected life events
· Maintains regular contact with students for the duration of their funding. Sets reminders in the RLI database to contact students and Post-Secondary institutions regarding attendance and overall progress
· Documents student information, comments, and other pertinent information in the RLI suite of software, ensuring that digital files contain accurate and up-to-date information, with all activity documented on file summary notes. Maintain records as required and input information as stated in the appropriate operational manuals
- Work with students to develop necessary skills, such as: organizational and time management skills and effective study habits. Support students in creating a plan to achieve academic and career goals
- Act as an advocate for students by collaborating with teachers, administrators, and other student support networks to help students succeed
· Assist in preparing statistical reports as required
· Attend meetings and events within the Métis community, educational institutions, and career and information fairs
· Travel and other duties as required
· Post-secondary education in Career Development, Humanities, Social Services, or a related field
· Minimum of three (3) years working with clients in a counselling capacity, or similar role related to employment services
· Must be located in Red Deer, or in close proximity to commute to Red Deer, AB office
· Must be able to work in #102 4706 48 Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 6J4 office daily
· Knowledge of challenges, barriers, and social/economic factors facing Indigenous individuals
· Knowledge of Métis culture, community, and history
· Experience or exposure networking with industry, employers, and community partners
· Knowledge of Labour Market trends and supply and demand
· Understanding of FOIP, PIPA, and other applicable legislation
· Ability to multi-task, work under minimal supervision, demonstrate excellent time and change management skills, and ability to deal deescalate stressful situations
· Demonstrate genuine interest and respect for people from all walks of life
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including: Word, Excel, and Outlook
Rupertsland Institute Offers:
· A competitive salary
· A comprehensive benefits plan including life insurance, disability, critical illness, 100% coverage on prescriptions, dental and vision coverage
· Employer matching pension plan
· Generous flex days and vacation time
· Culturally rich working environment
· Continuous learning opportunities
· And other perks
To apply,please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected], quoting competition no. PSE-Advisor-RDAB in the subject line.
Rupertsland Institute thanks all applicants for their interest. Only successful applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Preference will be given to qualified Métis applicants, and they are encouraged to self-identify on their cover letter.
Job Type: Full-time
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Red Deer, AB T4N 6J4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: In person