Opportunity – Marine Geologist
Seaforth Geosurveys Inc. is currently recruiting a Marine Geologist/Geophysicist to add to our team of marine geomatics professionals on a full-time, permanent basis.
Headquartered on Lake Banook in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Seaforth specializes in the development, implementation, and delivery of innovative marine geomatics ocean mapping and engineering services for clients within Canada as well as internationally.
The role of the Marine Geologist entails conducting field acquisition, processing, analyzing, interpreting, and reporting diverse geophysical data. The employee will use this data to prepare hydrographic, engineering, geological and geohazard maps, technical and scientific reports, presentations for clients, and a variety of other applications within a team setting. The role requires performing office-based tasks in Dartmouth, NS, as well as traveling and working offshore on various survey projects.
The Marine Geologist’s duties, responsibilities and obligations include:
- Taking part in all aspects of marine geophysical and geotechnical surveys from inception to completion, often as the offshore team leader or project manager.
- Vessel mobilization/demobilization, including configuring and calibrating geophysical and geotechnical equipment to ensure data quality and accuracy.
- Acquisition, processing, and interpretation of sidescan sonar data, subbottom profile data, magnetometer data, multibeam bathymetry, and ROV imagery.
- Planning, collecting, supervising, and interpreting various geotechnical/seabed sampling systems, such as: coring, grab samplers, benthic, cameras, and CPT.
- Working with other team members to develop and submit RFQ /proposals to Clients.
- Technical report writing of survey results, submitted to Clients post-survey.
- Legally authorized to work in Canada without restrictions.
- Possess the ability to obtain a valid passport for international travel and be available to travel as required.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with an acceptable motor vehicle record.
- Candidates should be available to work offshore for extended periods of time and should have or be willing to receive marine safety and survival training including, but not limited to: Basic Survival Training, Marine Emergency Duties, and WHMIS. An Offshore Fitness Certification is required for offshore operations.
- Possess as a minimum, a BSc degree in Geology/Geophysics (Master’s degree is beneficial) combined with at least 2 years of experience in marine geology, preferably practical expertise in obtaining marine geophysical, geotechnical, and hydrographic data while working onboard vessels.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have previous experience with various geophysical and geotechnical acquisition systems including: sidescan sonar, subbottom profiler, single channel seismic, multi-channel seismic, multibeam echosounder, marine magnetometer and gradiometer, gravity cores, vibrocores, VanVeen samplers, and CPT.
- Previous experience and strong working knowledge of software including: SonarWiz, Global Mapper, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office is considered an asset. Additional consideration will be given to candidates with knowledge of Qinsy, Geosoft Oasis Montaj, IHS Kingdom, or Coda Survey Engine.
- Strong technical report writing and ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to problem solve and apply deductive reasoning in fast-paced work environments in a variety of conditions.
- Able to collaborate well with other team members and department specialists.
- Compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
Seaforth recognizes the value of a committed and valued workforce. We strive to create an environment encouraging personal and professional growth where each employee’s strengths are recognized and supported. Seaforth has created a culture where curiosity is fostered by allowing the opportunity to travel to unique and unusual destinations, explore industry-leading technologies, and advance one’s career at the vanguard of ocean exploration.
The Seaforth team, consisting of a small group of experts, boasts a cumulative experience of over 200 years in marine surveying, project management, UNCLOS consultation, and marine geomatics data processing and management, both domestically in Canada and globally. In recent years, Seaforth has placed itself at the forefront of the marine renewable energy sector including tidal, wave & offshore wind developments. Established in 1994, Seaforth has consistently delivered cutting-edge solutions to clients across various marine sectors. Headquartered in Nova Scotia, a hub of Canada's thriving Blue Economy, Seaforth offers employees the opportunity to be at the forefront of advancements in the field.
Seaforth has implemented a diversity and inclusion policy that actively promotes equal opportunity for individuals from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to different age groups, genders, individuals with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, Indigenous peoples in Canada, and racially visible minorities. Candidates from these groups are highly encouraged to submit their applications and are given the option to voluntarily self-identify as a member of a diverse community.
If you are seeking a career opportunity in a unique and dynamic environment with a like-minded technical and professional team, Seaforth welcomes your application.
Interested candidates must submit their CV with cover letter to [email protected] to be considered. Please state in your cover letter you understand this position's scope of work takes place in the marine sector. Only selected candidates who have read the description in it's entirety may receive a response.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- marine geology: 2 years (preferred)
Work Location: On the road