Req ID: 161919
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Western Zone, Yarmouth Regional Hospital
Department: IMIT HIS Admitting & Registration YRH
Type of Employment: Casual Relief (3% FTE)
Status: NSGEU Admin Professionals Position
Posting Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there's a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you'll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
Reporting to the Manager, Health Information Services, the Health Information Clerk is responsible for all functions related to the efficient and accurate processing of patient information, registration, admission, transfer and discharge of all clients/patients and performs general clerical duties such as filing, photocopying, faxing and scanning of documents. The Health Information Clerk also carries out courteous and efficient switchboard/hospital communication functions, including the use of emergency and paging systems. The Health Information Clerk exhibits sound judgment and initiative, while working within the Mission, Vision and Strategic Directions and incorporates into daily practice the Core Competencies and Values of the organization.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Grade 12, plus successful completion of a recognized medical office/business administration program, or 1 year equivalent secretarial/clerical experience
- Successful completion of a Medical Terminology course required
- Experience or training in Meditech modules applicable to Health Information Services, i.e. Admission (ADM), Medical Records (MRI) and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) is an asset
- Basic computer skills – Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet, Intranet, with the ability to perform accurate data entry, and the ability to acquire new computer skills as necessary
- Excellent communication (listening, verbal and written) and interpersonal skills, demonstrating a high degree of tact, judgment, courtesy and a high level of confidentiality when dealing with all levels of staff and the public
- Excellent organizational, follow-through and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and accurately handle multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to work shifts, including weekends and holidays
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
A skills test will be part of the selection process
Please ensure your resume is up to date and includes all relevant education, experience, training, and certifications.
Casual relief hours
Shifts include days, evenings, weekends and holidays
Once You've Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Preferred candidates must be able to demonstrate proof of primary series of COVID -19 vaccine at time of hire.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.