CertainTeed Canada, Inc., a division of Saint-Gobain, has an exciting career opportunity for a EHSS Manager ( Health, Safety and Sustainability) to join our team at our Ottawa Plant location.
This is a great chance to join a Top Employer and contribute to our growth and success by providing fast and sufficient support to our Canadian business.
This is a great chance to join a Top Employer and contribute to our growth and success by demonstrating your passion and expertise for achieving Company objectives and being solution driven.
What’s the job?
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the EHSS Manager is the front-line point of contact for occupational risk management and environmental protection and conservation. This is a hands-on position responsible for creating, supporting and sustaining an autonomous EHSS culture, through mentoring and training that is consistent with the Company’s Values and Attitudes. This position is also responsible for developing and maintaining EHSS standard operating procedures, risk identification, risk reduction awareness and methods.
- Perform inspections and observations to maintain effective functioning of Environmental, Health and Safety system and process, ensuring that tools, procedures and training are in compliance with regulatory requirements and Saint-Gobain Standards.
- Work collaboratively with operation management and all plant personnel to proactively address and control health and safety risks and environmental impacts.
- Ensure that all critical safety training (i.e. Confined Space Entry, Fall Control, Lift Truck Operation, Lockout-Tagout, First Aid and CPR, etc.) are current and conducted on time.
- Participate and support risk assessments and act as a safety point-of-contact during normal operation, shut-downs, installations and other non-routine activities.
- Conduct and ensure timely completion of workplace EHS investigations and proper accident/injury reporting.
- Ensure timely administration of work-related compensation claims, accommodations and return to work plans.
- Work as point of contact for MOL, MOECP, other government agencies and contractors to manage compliance, external and internal reporting requirements. Collect and escalate as necessary, EHS-related external communication inquiries from governing agencies, NGOs and general public.
- Lead the WCM pillars and uses the WCM tools to assess, implement and manage processes required for EHS management systems and develop the EHSS culture.
- Work with the JHSC to grow the EHS culture in the plant.
- Maintain and manage EHSS information, documentation and records using the suite of digital solutions.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management.
Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and occasional exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes.
Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, weekend or holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
Must be able to spend a significant amount of time on plant floor. Job includes tasks that require long periods of sitting, walking, standing, working on a computer or engaging in telephone conversation. Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government and company safety standards whenever engineered methods of reducing hazards or physical requirements cannot be reasonably accommodated.
The above declarations are not intended to be all-inclusive of this position’s duties, responsibilities and requirements to do this job. They are intended only to describe its general nature.
What do you bring?
- Educational background in OHS or Environmental engineering studies is highly preferred, with at least 1 to 2 years of related experience in a similar role;
- Strong active listening abilities; collect information from employees and to relay relevant facts through incident investigations and risk reduction actions;
- Excellent written and oral communication; ability to conduct training sessions and facilitate group presentations;
- Strong computer proficiency (Intermediate level - MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and technical aptitude; experience in using EHS digital suites (Intelex, VelocityEHS, Gensuite, etc.) is an asset;
- Good time management and task prioritization;
- Experience of working in ISO or COR systems is an asset;
- Experience with writing policies and procedures for health and safety is an asset;
- Experience managing WCIB reporting and return to work process;
- Ability to research and comprehend legislative language to ensure legal compliance;
Why work with us?
At Saint-Gobain, our employees have pride in belonging to an organization whose culture is made up of these core values: Trust, Empowerment, & Collaboration. Our company encourages diversity and inclusion in all its forms while our products make the world a more beautiful, safer, and sustainable home.
Here’s what we do…
CertainTeed is a subsidiary of Saint-Gobain -- the world’s largest building materials company with a 350-year legacy of innovation and growth. Saint-Gobain group is leader in sustainable product development and environmental stewardship. We’re proud to that Saint-Gobain North America was recognized by Top Employers institute as on the best workplaces in North America & Canada.
For 113 years, CertainTeed has been synonymous with quality, trust, innovation, and service. Our team designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions in the construction and building materials market. CertainTeed’s broad product offering includes insulation, ceilings, roofing, siding, fence, railing, deck, exterior trim and gypsum board products. We provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change. Our offerings incorporate and promote the wellbeing for each of us and we are building a future where we collectively work together towards our core purpose to Make the World a Better Home.
To learn more about us visit www.certainteed.ca
We look forward to hearing from everyone but please note that due to the volume of resumes submitted, only those selected for next steps will be contacted. To stay in touch with CertainTeed, follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram.
We provide unique options to fit your unique lives! Our Total Rewards Program is customizable to accommodate your needs. Our menu of flexible options includes, but is not limited to:
- Excellent healthcare benefits package.
- Family Focus & Balance: Parental leave, paid time-off and Employee Assistance Program.
- Financial Security: Competitive RRSP, Company-funded DPSP (Deferred Profit-Sharing Plan) and Employee Stock Purchase Program (PEG).
- Volunteer Day off: Give back to the community – each employee has one paid day a year that they can use towards volunteering their time and effort with a registered charity.
- LiveWell Program: Rewarding you for living a healthy lifestyle.
- And more!
Saint-Gobain is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process to applicants upon their request. This commitment is in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $85,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Gloucester, ON: reliably commute or be willing to relocate with an employer-provided relocation package (required)
Work Location: In person