Engineering & Process Excellence (PE)
Director, Engineering & Process Excellence
Guelph (home base)
Reporting to the Director, Engineering & Process Excellence the Project Engineer will be responsible for providing local support for facility Engineering projects. Although this position is based in our Guelph facility where the successful candidate will primarily work on local projects, as part of the Engineering team this position may occasionally be required to assist in other Gay Lea facilities based on the needs of the business. The Project Engineer will effectively communicate with all stakeholders involved and own technical projects in manufacturing including execution, creation of solutions, sourcing equipment, managing installations and start-ups. The Project Engineer will use appropriate project management and reporting disciplines throughout the project life cycle.
- Acts as an advisor for other stakeholders in the Engineering Department and local Operation Managers
- Responsible for CAPEX projects in the facilities where assigned.
- Oversee the design and review of equipment and systems using corporate standards.
- Interface with engineers to define project scope requirements.
- Evaluate new process technologies to improve existing systems and resolve process and safety issues.
- Manage release of design input to suppliers (contractors, component suppliers, etc.).
- Perform supplier site visits to ensure compatibility of equipment designs with current plant configuration.
- Assist in the development of new installation techniques and standards.
- Coordinate commissioning of the installation to ensure reliable and safe start-up.
- Performs project closure in conjunction with the project team.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, chemical, industrial, food, electrical engineering or in automated production.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ relevant experience in project engineering development
- Experience in the food industry an asset.
- Proven track record of implementing multi-disciplinary Capital projects in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Good knowledge of MS Office applications, and AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement practices an asset.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Experience working with lean six sigma, TPM, WCM or similar continuous improvement tools; holding a Black Belt designation is preferred.
- Demonstrated strong technical abilities, working collaboratively with cross functional teams.
- Comprehensive experience in working with HACCP programs, GMP systems, and a comprehensive Food Safety.
- Experience in developing and implementing 1-to-3-year capital engineering plans and budgets.
- Strong computer skills including Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCad, and Microsoft Project.
- Ability to work successfully within a matrix organization.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills combined with diplomacy and tact.
Gay Lea Foods is a proud Canadian-owned dairy food and beverage company with a robust portfolio that includes 7 established brands such as Gay Lea Butter, Nordica Cottage Cheese, Ivanhoe Cheese, Salerno Cheese, and Hewitt’s Dairy. Our wide range of products are sold in Retail, Foodservice, Industrial, Co-pack, and Export markets, developed and produced out of our 13 manufacturing facilities in Ontario and Alberta.
Delivering high-quality and innovative products - from the consumer favourite Spreadables and North America’s first Smooth™ Cottage Cheese, to Nothing But Cheese™, an innovative snack made with 100% cheese, is what makes us market leaders in our categories. Our grassroots approach to business is what guides our direction and differentiates us from our competitors.
Our employees inspire our culture of excellence and entrepreneurship. We hire innovative and passionate professionals who know that greatness is achieved through people, partnerships, and acting with a business owner mindset.
For more about us visit:
Gay Lea Foods is an equal-opportunity employer and values diversity in our workplace.
Reasonable accommodation is available upon request throughout our recruitment and selection process.
Thank you for your interest in Gay Lea Foods.
Wishing you all the best with your career search!