Established in 1982, Bulk Barn is Canada's largest bulk food retailer with close to 300 stores and growing! The key to our success is progressive thinking, detailed/ methodical planning and flawless execution by passionate people across our organization. We strive to foster a balanced and flexible culture that benefits both our customers and employees.
- High Standards
- Exciting and Fun
- Customer Oriented
What We Offer
In addition to a competitive compensation program and employer-paid benefits, we also include:
- 32-hour flexible work-week program currently being tested
- Use of top-tier on-site fitness facility at our Corporate Head Office free of charge to employees
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Manager, Facilities & Maintenance main purpose is to oversee the Facilities & Maintenance Coordinators. The Manager, Facilities & Maintenance will be responsible for reporting to the VP, Store Development on a weekly basis with updates for ongoing major cases. They will drive, through the Facilities & Maintenance department, the execution of all annual Corporate Initiates and maintenance schedules, including but not limited to Wash & Re-lamp, Paint, Exterior Signage Painting/Cleaning and Fixture Pre-books.
The Manager, Facilities & Maintenance will build relationships with Store Managers by supporting a Region of Corporate and Franchised stores.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for consistently communicating missions, initiatives and team objectives to the team through formal written communications and organized one on one or team meetings.
- Provide support to stores in each designated region with day to day requests.
- Log, track and coordinate timely resolution of deficiencies noted at store level and ensure issues are clearly communicated to appropriate vendors as necessary.
- Send Surveys to stores through the Store Portal, at least once a quarter, or as required by the business.
- Create, maintain, and update warehouse logs to ensure orders are received and shipped on project timeline.
- Create Purchase Orders and send to Request for Approval queue in a timely fashion, free of errors and at the best price, in order to meet deadlines.
- Initiate contracts for Corporate Stores, as required, and forward to Legal/Administration for approval and signature (waste management, HVAC, window/floor cleaning etc.) and issue purchase orders as required for these contracts.
- Issue Purchase Orders for all ownership transfers for utility, HVAC, waste and all corporate accounts.
- Transfer contracts as required to and from Franchisees as required in Corporate Store cases.
- Provide support to stores in each designated region with day-to-day requests etc.
- Communicate within department and business as needed to ensure timing, accuracy, and smooth processing of information and orders.
- Conduct weekly Zoom/Teams meetings with Operations (Regional Managers, District Managers and Store Managers) to offer customer service and build relationships.
- The ability to ensure an action meets the requirements of accepted practices, legislation, prescribed rules and regulations, specified standards, or the terms of a contract.
- The ability to successfully serve internal and/or external client’s needs.
- The ability to focus on task at hand and offer stores and Store Managers support to completion of task.
- The ability to produce work that is free from errors such as: spelling, grammar, data entry, incorrect content, etc.
- The ability to get to the root-cause of an issue by observing all data and photos provided through the Store Development Helpdesk.
- Basic construction knowledge is a must. Required be able to get to the root-cause of problem by diagnosing various disciplines of basic construction knowledge.
- Ability to learn on the fly is required as there are various types of fixtures and equipment in each store.
- Manage, review and approve contracts for Franchisees, as requested (including HVAC or Cooler Maintenance).
- The ability to establish a clear vision, share that vision with the Facilities & Maintenance Coordinators so that they will follow willingly, provide information, knowledge and demonstrate so that the vision can be realized and coordinate and balancing the conflicting interests of involved parties.
- The ability to bargain with Landlords and their sub-trades to reach an agreement that is mutually beneficial.
- The ability to work with sub-trades to negotiate prices that fall in line with the expectation of the business.
- The ability to off-set high quotes with relationships built with National vendors and use that as leverage.
- The ability to build and maintain relationships or networks of contacts who are, or may be, influential in establishing competitive advantage and achieving business objectives.
- Manage direct reports and support the VP, Store Development in the management of the team towards achieving Company standards of performance.
- Ensure the overall people plan for the team reflects high standards, bench strength and succession planning, coupled with consistent mentoring and people development.
- Investigate and recommend any process improvement to Manager, Facilities & Maintenance.
- The ability to work through the details of a problem in order to reach and implement an effective solution within a timely manner. An effective problem solver will resolve issues with permanent solutions. They may use temporary solutions to ensure immediate damage control but will always work towards and implement a more permanent solution.
- Day-to-day management and resolution of issues that arise in a timely manner.
- Ensure that issues with internal and external customers are resolved in accordance with Company Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Investigate with team and recommend any process improvement that is identified and present to VP Store Development.
- The ability to continuously improve upon quality, service, productivity, and/or response time, by assessing the effectiveness of existing processes and procedures within their department, identifying opportunities for improvement, removing non-value-added activities, reducing costs and/or reducing time required to deliver through incremental enhancements.
Project /Task Management
- Track all Annual Corporate Initiatives, in master tracker.
- Tender all Annual Corporate Initiatives, Wash & Re-lamp, Paint, Exterior Sign Backer Cleaning/Painting
- Oversee communication templates, communication emails are accurate and on-point for all Corporate Initiatives
- Oversee and distribute Fast Facts in accordance with Calendar.
- Manage and maintain Fast Facts Calendar.
- Tender quotes from various vendors as required to resolve outstanding tasks, generated through the Store Development HelpDesk.
- Assist Finance with outstanding PO issues as they arise for month end and year end.
- The ability to manage multiple sub-trades in order to fix a repair at store level which may include the coordination ordering fixtures and equipment to store in line with sub-trades timing.
- Send out Cost Acknowledgments to stores for approval and issue Purchase Orders to Vendors once Approved as required.
- Initiate contracts for corporate stores as required and forward to legal for approval and signature (Waste Mgmt., HVAC, Window/Floor Cleaning etc.).
- Transfer Utilities contracts as required from Franchised stores to Corporate Store on change of ownership.
- Review outstanding items in Store Deficiency database, update progress and assist Store Managers to ensure tasks are completed.
- Resourceful, attentive with details and maintains accurate records.
- Assist the Facilities & Maintenance Manager in the preparation and submission of the department budget.
- Provide the Manager, Facilities & Maintenance with consistent status reports for all outstanding issues.
- Constantly update sub-trade list.
- Generate weekly reports from the Master Deficiency Log and review with VP, Store Development to identify coverage strategy.
- Maintain weekend coverage calendar for 24/7 service to stores.
- Maintain and monitor sub-trade list, provide weekly additional counts as part of weekly reporting to VP, Store Development.
Push for Results
- The ability to achieve goals within a specified timeframe, through the effective use of existing resources and personal ingenuity.
- Work with co-workers and 3rd parties to ensure all orders are correct, on time and on budget.
- The ability to pick up the phone and have vendors hear a sense of urgency in your voice, is a must for this role.
- Ensure all documents, reports, invoices, PO’s and communications are accurate, documented, logged, print ready and executed on time.
- The ability to deliver work, product or services that is free from defects and/or deficiencies. This is achieved through strict and consistent commitment to certain standards that achieve uniformity of a product in order to satisfy specific customer or user requirements.
- The ability to work collaboratively with a group of people in order to achieve a goal.
Promotes and works to maintain workplace wellness, health and safety, through active compliance with all workplace health and safety policies and procedures.
Any other duties as required.
Education & Skills
- Post- Secondary diploma in Business and/or Administration
- Post- Secondary diploma in Project Management, an asset
- 1-3 years’ experience in Facilities & Maintenance in a National retail environment
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Basic working knowledge of accounting principles and experience with budgets and issuing purchase orders
- Ability to organize workflow, multi-task at high levels, and manage changing priorities within specified timelines
- 1-3 years’ experience of working with simultaneous projects
- 1-3 years’ experience working in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Proficiency and comfort level to communicate in one on one settings, group situations and over the telephone
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Resourceful, attentive with details and maintaining accurate record
Bulk Barn Foods Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. Accommodation is available in accordance with the AODA, if requested.
Thank you for your interest. Only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.