Discover TRIUMF, Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. TRIUMF's diverse community of nearly 600 multidisciplinary researchers, engineers, technicians, tradespeople, staff, and students create a unique incubator for Canadian excellence, as well as a portal to premier global collaborations. Fueling innovation and improving lives, we are committed to accelerating discovery and shaping a better world.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
Part of the Mechanical Services Group, the Millwright is a key member of the team providing expert technical support in the installation, maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting of mechanical equipment on site. TRIUMF is a large research facility with a wide array of mechanical equipment ranging from compressors, pumps, breathable air dryers, high-capacity blowers, specialty filtration units and much more. This position will primarily conduct maintenance on equipment and periodically contribute to special projects. The incumbent will work with the existing, experienced millwright apprentice. This is an excellent opportunity to work on unique, exciting projects and for professional growth.
- Conduct preventative and corrective maintenance on pumps, compressors, cooling towers, blowers, and other various mechanical equipment.
- Inspects equipment to ensure quality and that equipment is functioning properly.
- Periodically rigging and material handling.
- Maintain technical data and equipment records.
- Modifies equipment to meet special needs.
- Respond to equipment failures.
- Provides input for scheduling of maintenance routines.
- Conduct pre-job safety briefings
- May assist Mechanical Services Group with nuclear ventilation testing and maintenance.
- May consult on design projects for installation and maintenance feasibility.
- May initiate improvements on projects that will enhance operation and/or functionality.
- May be assigned to other groups for special projects.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical systems. The ability and desire to work independently
- Demonstrated troubleshooting ability and the ability to foresee potential problemsThe ability to apply technical knowledge and specialized techniques when resolving operational problems.
Knowledge of technical practices, methods and materials required in the maintenance of machinery
Common sense and knowledge of safe handling of equipment
Knowledge of preventative maintenance techniques and record keeping
NUCLEAR ENERGY WORKER:
The position requires the incumbent to be trained as a Nuclear Energy Worker (NEW) (training provided by TRIUMF).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
A Red Seal Millwright ticket is required for this position with a minimum of seven years of relevant and progressive experience after apprenticeship.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
As a requirement of this position, the successful candidate will need to provide acceptable proof that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or demonstrate that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the BC Human Rights Code. TRIUMF will grant reasonable accommodation requests up to the point of undue hardship.
TRIUMF, Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics, is situated on the vibrant south campus of the University of British Columbia, nestled within the beautiful Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC.
At TRIUMF, we value our employees and are committed to providing a competitive total rewards package. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer comprehensive benefits that promote the well-being and security of our staff. Our organization provides an excellent opportunity to grow your career in a high-profile national research facility, where you can make a difference.
If you are passionate about science, engineering and technology, driven to excel, and eager to be part of a collaborative and forward-thinking organization, we encourage you to apply. Take the next step in your career journey with TRIUMF.
Learn more about the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF.
Come join us to see how we are working to unlock the mysteries of the universe and shape the future.
Apply now and be part of our extraordinary journey.
Application closing date:
August 11, 2023
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.
Email: [email protected]
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Vision care
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-08-11