Overview: This position will lead the implementation and continuous improvement of a HACCP program at a small food manufacturing facility in St. John’s, Newfoundland. In addition, the position will provide limited HSQA support to other Compass Group Canada units in the region.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Lead all aspects of a successful HACCP program implementation, including change management, training, and support.
- Prepare the site for and lead a 3rd party HACCP audit
- Work with Operations to maintain the HACCP program over time to ensure it reflects processes on the production floor and that it conforms with the 3rd party standard selected. This includes updating of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provide training to employees on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Personal Hygiene, and company policies.
- Conduct environmental swabbing and product sampling as required, ensuring samples are tracked in the lab system and physically sent to the lab.
- Conduct risk assessments and advise on product disposition as required.
- Participate in and support pre-requisite program activities as required.
- Verify compliance with the HACCP program.
- Conduct internal audits as required.
- Other HACCP-related duties as assigned.
- Provide HSQA support to other Compass Group Canada units in the region with strategic and operational advice, guidance in the areas of occupational health & safety and food safety.
- Conduct onsite Health & Safety and Quality Assurance assessments as required at other Compass Group Canada units in the region, develop action plans and monitor through to completion.
- Deliver training and education programs to varying audience levels
- Provide support and guidance to operators with respect to external 3rd party safety audits
- Participate and actively contribute to the organization’s regulatory safety programs (PRIME)
- Work collaboratively with other divisional and unit level HSQA team members to share learning’s and establish/ implement strategies and processes
- Review occupational and food safety incident investigation reports; assist with development of corrective actions to ensure closure of required actions and support the implementation of sustainable measures to prevent reoccurrence
- Build safety awareness and advance the organization’s safety culture through information campaigns, training and education.
- Act as subject matter expert at regular operational meetings and conference calls.
- Liaise with regulatory agencies including Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Authorities & Public Health Units.
- Keep up to date on current and future developments in compliance and best practices.
The successful candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- At least 2 years experience working with HACCP in a food manufacturing environment.
- A bachelor’s degree in food science, biology, nutrition, or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain HACCP programs and deliver related training
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with Operations while upholding food safety standards.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to explain HACCP concepts in simple words.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and plan effectively, and work with multiple deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Valid drivers license and vehicle as this position may require travel.
- Experience in Occupational Health & Safety would be a strong asset.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Up to $64,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Work Location: On the road