Build Your Career at Aecon
Aecon is proud to build some of the most impactful infrastructure projects of this generation. From the roads and transit systems that connect our communities, to the communication networks that link us from coast-to-coast, and the water infrastructure that supplies our businesses and homes. Our integral work includes constructing the pipelines that join provinces with the energy that fuels the nation, and the airports and ports that connect us all. Aecon is there, safely and sustainably building the future.
We lead the infrastructure industry with purpose, and our people are at the heart of everything we do. Our business success relies on strong execution and continuous improvement – driven by the diversity, expertise and teamwork of our employees. We are always searching the globe for exceptional candidates to join the Aecon family and be a part of our forward-thinking, innovative, best-in-class organization!
What is the Opportunity?
Aecon Civil is a market leader with a self-perform competitive advantage and core local strength in key markets. We’re proud of our work helping to expand and improve Canada’s infrastructure and transportation networks, and we’re ready to build the future of our country.
Aecon is currently seeking an Estimator to join the Civil East Ontario team. The Estimator is responsible for the delivery of organized estimates, budgets, and schedules and ensure the necessary systems and procedures are implemented to manage Aecon’s risk.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Contribute to, or lead (as appropriate) the estimating efforts on various bids for major projects within civil, rail and building disciplines
- Pricing activities into the Hard Dollar estimating program
- Preparation of procurement packages, reviewing responses and assisting with updating of estimates
- Taking off quantities from bid drawings
- Reviewing specifications to identify scope
- Coordinating with other functions, and other Aecon Group estimators as necessary to support the estimating process
- Communicate with sub-trades
- Assist in reviewing documents for proposals to enable complete estimate preparation
- Organize and obtain appropriate bonding and insurance requirements on estimates
- Contribute to the risk assessment and management process
- Assist proposals managers with collation and presentation of documents and reports for review and close-out process
- Participate in bid management meetings and estimate reviews
- Administration of document management for bids
What You Bring to the Team:
- 5-8 years’ experience in civil project estimating within the construction industry
- Experience working on large scale projects, including design-build
- Excellent working knowledge of various types of civil construction contracts (e.g. Lump Sum, Cost Reimbursable, Unit Price, Target, Guaranteed Maximum Price, etc.)
- Working knowledge of industry standards, specifications, contract language/Terms and Conditions/Bonding etc.
- In addition, incumbents will be required to demonstrate deep civil technical expertise and understanding of regulatory requirements in one or more of Aecon’s operating markets (Civils, Nuclear, Utilities, Rail, etc.)
- High degree of excellence at performing investigations of each tender and accurately review and incorporate all site conditions that impact bid costs, ensure constructability and leads and mentors others in this process
- Consistent and effective at successfully negotiating with vendors for project purchasing needs, conforming to Aecon’s procurement requirements including budgets and terms and conditions
- Thorough level understanding of balanced/un-balanced bids and forecasting margins at the tender stage
- Coherently presents the essence/strategy of a completed estimate to management, defend its constructability, and defend calculated cost targets at a detailed level
- Expertise in submitting written requests for clarifications from clients; consistently well worded, to Aecon’s advantage and never compromises Aecon’s position where we hold a bid advantage
- An expert in the job handover process (from estimating to operations)
What Makes us Aecon Proud:
- Engaging and agile workplace culture, collaborative and inclusive teams
- Commitment to sustainability and to becoming a net-zero company by 2050
- Investing in our people through a variety of learning and development programs such as Aecon University, BluePrint leadership program, and Project Management Academy
- Variety of wellness benefits, access to virtual health care, 100% employer-paid health and dental premiums, Employee Assistance Program, Best Doctors Program, and more.
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities
- Recognition and rewards through Aecon Accolades, Aecon Achievement Awards and more
- Employee Stock Options, Short Term Incentive Program, Retirement Savings and Pension Plan
Aecon fosters diversity, inclusion and belonging within and across our organization. We welcome all to apply including, women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. If you require accommodation during any step of the application process, please click here.