At Drax, we’re working towards a zero-carbon, sustainable future and you can help make this future a reality.
As Environmental Specialist, you’ll provide operations with on-site environmental expertise and advice, performing audits and associated reporting in accordance with Drax’s environmental permit and HSE requirements, while providing support of our compliance approach and group level management system documentation.
You’ll facilitate on-site collaboration and discussion on Drax groupwide minimum environmental standards to support the business to achieve Drax’s OneSafeDrax vision. The role is required to ensure environmental performance and compliance of Pellet Operations and supports delivery of the HSE Improvement Strategy as approved by the Drax Board.
You’ll play a key role supporting the development of a risk-based, values-driven approach to HSE management, establishing the necessary conditions to drive safe, reliable, compliant, and sustainable practices, culture, and mind-set. It will have a role in Group HSE compliance, ensuring good practices are captured, rolling out recommendations, seeking collaboration, and assisting in process enhancement rollout, to improve on environmental performance, regulatory compliance, and reporting.
Location: This opportunity is supporting our "West Line" locations (Prince George, Meadowbank, Smithers, Houston, Burns Lake, Westview Port) with a hybrid of on-site/ working from home for someone living in one of the above-mentioned locations.
Success in this role will require 50-75% travel.
About the role:
- Requires regular on-site inspections, monthly audits, risk identification, water sampling collection, and environmental training delivered to operations teams.
- Responsible for ensuring air, water, waste, and other on-site environmental requirements are compliant with required regulations and Drax standards.
- Support plant managers, operations and HSE leadership on plant level environmental performance with a focus on improving compliance, safety, cost, and efficiency of environmental systems through the regular reporting of potential risks and activities.
- Implement a robust audit protocol to ensure facilities are operating within the Drax standards and develop site summary reports, communicate corrective actions with plant and senior staff to provide direct support and ensure performance improvement.
- Collaborate with and train operations employees to follow environmental policies, practices, and standards by owning environmental training and competency.
- Responsible for inputting environmental aspects of Drax Group’s HSE management system, providing monthly data and summary report entry.
- Conduct environmental incident and near miss reporting (stack tests, spills, erosion, fugitive dust, etc.), and support investigations.
- Support senior staff in the preparation of environmental permitting, compliance activities and reporting.
- Self-starting and able to prioritise concurrent workstreams, be organised, methodical and structured in your approach to work.
- Contribute ideas to raising the bar in HSE standards, identifying where we'll meet minimum standard and where there is opportunity to deliver a higher standard.
- Experience as an environmental specialist or environmental consultant.
- Demonstration of a detailed understanding of the framework of environmental compliance.
- Graduate in a science, engineering, or related discipline with sufficient practical ‘hands-on’ experience of delivering environmental reporting and audits.
- Technical writing capability, with attention to detail and adherence to timelines.
- Experienced in driving engagement, performance, and championing compliance, through HSE management systems.
- Professional membership (or willingness to work towards) a relevant environment professional body.
- Knowledge of management system standards such as ISO and management systems best practice.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary, with opportunities to grow your experience and build an exciting career leading others.
- A supportive team environment where you will continuously learn and grow.
- Great health and dental benefits starting from day one at Drax!
- An RRSP matching plan (6% company match) to support your personal and family goals (also starting from day one at Drax!).
- A company bonus plan which rewards overall Drax performance, safety, and scorecard achievement.
How you need to act:
- We care about what matters – we help each other achieve the things that are important to each of us
- We’re a can-do kind of place – we’re empowered and encouraged to make informed decisions, take action and do the right thing
- We see things differently – we share inspiration and insight right across Drax, and search for new ideas and ways of working
- We listen carefully – we make sure that people feel genuinely heard, acknowledged and that what they say matters
- We do what we say we’ll do – we’re proactive, committed, and reliable –and trust others to be the same
Drax is committed to enabling a zero carbon, lower cost energy future through engineering, technology and innovation. To find out more about us, click here.
You can also follow us on LinkedIn.
The Drax Resourcing team will never use third-party apps to make job offers. The recruitment process with Drax will always include at least one face to face interview, either in person or via an online video call, as well as several phone conversations. Drax will never ask you to download apps to enter timesheet details, or ask you to purchase your own IT equipment. If you have any concerns during your recruitment process or suspect something isn’t right, please contact us via [email protected] to verify the application or details of the person you have been speaking to.