Position: Coordinator, Market Development, Europe, USA & Cruise
Salary: $62,255.85 - $70,557.73
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Vancouver, BC
Work Option: Hybrid
Closing Date: October 10, 2023 at 9:00 am
Position #: 00100452
Competition #: DBC 2023-29
If you are interested and you meet the selection criteria, please respond to this link with your cover letter and CV prior to 9:00am, October 10, 2023.
You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to apply for this full-time opportunity.
The initial salary for this position will start at the beginning of the listed salary range with the opportunity to advance up the pay grid in annual increments. An eligibility list may be established.
Destination BC is recognized globally for our strong, authentic brand, our award-winning creative and leading-edge marketing, and our destination management strategies. We work hard, play to our strengths, support each other unreservedly, and consider it a privilege to share the transformative power of BC’s experiences with the world. We offer the opportunity to love what you do by engaging in exciting and innovative work and immersing yourself in a collaborative work culture that is committed to empowerment and employee learning and development. Our primary workplace model is a combination of in office and work from home based on a split week giving you the best of both worlds.
We are a provincially funded, industry-led Crown corporation that supports a strong and competitive future for BC’s tourism industry through a combination of global marketing, destination development, industry learning, cooperative community-based programs, and visitor servicing. The Corporation strives to grow sustainable social, cultural, environmental, and economic benefits for all British Columbians through the encouragement and promotion of responsible travel. Destination BC receives approximately $52 million each year, out of a Provincial investment of about $140 million in BC’s tourism ecosystem. These investments help to improve the visitor experience, support businesses and communities, and strengthen BC’s worldwide reputation as a destination of choice. For more information about Destination BC’s programs and services, please visit www.DestinationBC.ca.
Destination BC is committed to ensuring diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and in all aspects of our work, and welcome applications from all qualified job seekers. If you are an applicant with a disability, we will ensure workplace accommodations are in place to enable you to do your best work.
A safe and respectful workplace for all employees is a leading priority for our organization, and as part of this, we are committed to the health and safety of our employees, industry partners, sub-contractors, and community.
For inquiries regarding accommodation requirements, or to learn more about our commitment to the health and safety of our employees, please contact [email protected]. For more information about Destination BC’s programs and services, please visit www.DestinationBC.ca.
Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants who self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For advice and guidance on applying and/or preparing for an interview for this opportunity, we invite applicants to connect with the Indigenous Applicant Advisor, by email: [email protected] or by phone: 778-698-1336.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Europe, USA & Cruise team works to attract the travelling consumer from Europe, USA & markets through direct to consumer marketing, travel trade and travel media relations programs. Working closely with key accounts in the Europe, USA & Cruise market, this program area fosters relationships and provides education on British Columbia’s tourism products to tour operators who are directly selling and influencing consumers.
Reporting directly to the Manager, Market Development, Europe, USA & Cruise, the Coordinator, Market Development, Europe, USA & Cruise coordinates and supports all cooperative marketing, trade education, familiarization tours/press trips and other marketing initiatives for the unit to advance the Super, Natural Brand in the Europe, USA & Cruise markets.
- Carries out the planning, implementation and delivery of trade familiarization (FAM) tours which includes itinerary planning and development, selecting contractors and escorts and liaising with tour operator/key account clients, Destination Marketing Organizations (DMOs), Regional partners and suppliers. Occasional requirement to lead/escort FAM groups;
- Identifies risks and develops risk mitigation strategies for FAMs with responsibility for safety and support of participants. Responds to and trouble shoots issues and changes to develop and adapt plans on short notice;
- Works closely with other provincial, city and regional DMOs in co-operative marketing programs – including creative requirements, financial and administrative components, monitors budget and invoices partners;
- Manages and monitors multiple project budgets, including monthly, quarterly and year-end variance and forecasting reports, tracking expenses in multiple currencies and develops and monitors contracts to ensure compliance with financial policies;
- Provides work direction to contracted resources, monitors delivery of services in relation to contract terms, resolves routine problems and escalates non-compliance issues;
- Coordinates multi-year contract process for goods & services in Europe, USA & Cruise as required. Secures contractors for overseas trade FAMs and marketing projects as required. Sets up and monitors the contracts and expenditures allocated;
- Provides support for, and communicates with, overseas offices, including office administration, special events, collateral and website production, information and image sourcing taking into consideration the different time zones, public holidays, etc.;
- Supervises, in conjunction with the Coordinator Market Development, Asia Pacific & Mexico, the Administrative Assistant, Market Development;
- Works with international tradeshow organizers on the technical coordination of trade show events where requested, e.g., Showcase Europe and IMM Europe; including registration, booth layout, events, display materials and image selection and, when required, provincial coordination between organizers and regional/city DMO partners;
- Updates marketing databases, including entry of sales leads and notes from tradeshows and follows up on requests for collateral, product information and itinerary suggestions;
- Develops presentations on behalf of the Manager and industry partners and delivers trade education in person and via webinars;
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with colleagues at Destination BC to facilitate collaboration and implementation of best practices across various trade, financial, and administrative activities.
- Completion of relevant post-secondary training or equivalent education and experience;
- Minimum 2 years’ experience providing coordination or senior administrative support and services for assigned projects;
- Proven experience with budget developing, tracking and reporting and financial processing including contract development;
- Proven experience in partner relationship development;
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office, especially in Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint; and knowledge of accounting and database software would be preferred.
- Experience working within the tourism industry is an asset.
- Analytical Thinking is the ability to comprehend a situation by breaking it down into its components and identifying key or underlying complex issues. It implies the ability to systematically organize and compare the various aspects of a problem or situation, and determine cause-and-effect relationships to resolve problems in a sound, decisive manner. Checks to ensure the validity or accuracy of all information.
- Building Partnerships with Stakeholders is the ability to build long-term or on-going relationships with stakeholders (e.g. someone who shares an interest in what you are doing). This type of relationship is often quite deliberate and is typically focused on the way the relationship is conducted. Implicit in this competency is demonstrating a respect for and stating positive expectations of the stakeholder.
- Planning, Organizing and Coordinating involves proactively planning, establishing priorities and allocating resources. It is expressed by developing and implementing increasingly complex plans. It also involves monitoring and adjusting work to accomplish goals and deliver the organization's mandate.
- Problem Solving/Judgement is the ability to analyze problems systematically, organize information, identify key factors, identify underlying causes and generate solutions
- Engaging External Partners identifies and involves external stakeholders in order to foster long term partnerships.
INDIGENOUS RELATIONS BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
- Collaborative Planning, Organizing and Coordinating involves shared planning, establishing priorities jointly, and assigning resources accordingly, with sensitivity to the competing demands faced by Indigenous people. It is expressed by building plans together prior to acting, and ensuring that plans and resourcing align with their evolving interests and needs. It involves timely monitoring, evaluation and work refinement to deliver on the BC Public Service mandate of supporting Indigenous self-determination. It means developing staff orientation and managing knowledge so that when a new employee takes up a position within an already established relationship, educating the employee does not automatically and continually fall to Indigenous people.
Vice-President, Global Marketing
Director, Market Development
Market Development Manager, Europe, USA & Cruise
Coordinator, Market Development, Europe, USA & Cruise
Administrative Assistant, Market Development
HOW TO APPLY & APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
To be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined in the job requirements section above. Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies as outlined in the above Job Description. A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
A resume is required as part of your application. Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete an online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Responses to this questionnaire will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements.
Please allot approximately 30 minutes to complete the application.
Only applications submitted using the online application portal will be accepted.