We are a family run business who provides a full range of general contracting and building services for industrial and commercial sites. We also have a commercial development/property management/leasing division, where we own several office buildings throughout the city that we maintain, with exceptional tenants.
We are currently looking for a Construction Estimator to join our Team and help us expand our construction division. This is an in-office position.
The Construction Estimator is responsible for preparing accurate estimates for both small and large sized projects. They will be required to analyze information, specifications, proposals, and important metrics, to provide quantity take-off and accurate costing. The estimating process includes reading drawings, quantity take-off, writing proposals, and obtaining costs for materials and subcontractors.
A qualified candidate should have excellent numerical skills, an analytical mindset, be diligent and thorough, with at least two years experience in reading blueprints and understanding project specifications. An associate degree is beneficial.
What you'll be doing:
- Interpret the plans and specifications and make the necessary calculations for pricing of tenders.
- Provide quantity take-off in all trades discipline for budgeting and tendering.
- Prepares and assembled detailed cost estimates and bid documents for construction projects reflective of industry experience, current market conditions and project specifics, including support feasibility studies and value engineering.
- Analyze design drawings, specificiations, consultants reports and initiate RFI's as required.
- Assist with resolving trades Purchase Order related issues.
- Analysis of cost comparison and difference in products and services; compares contractor proposals with required project scope to determine completeness.
- Prepare pre-qualification and/or tender submissions and present to clients.
- Endure pricing is requested and received in good time for closing the project.
- Clearly communicate scope of work to subcontractors and suppliers, and accurately interpret quotes to ensure all costs are accounted for and ensuring no elements of the scope or supplies are missing.
- Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures, including current/accurate information on prices from suppliers and subcontractors.
- Create and submit estimate reports, quote sheets and/or bids forms to appropriate persons.
- Ensure that worksheets and related take-off forms/submittals are presented in a way that is clearly understandable to others reviewing the information.
- Attend tender site visits and interact with clients during tendering phase to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Maintain strong industry contacts which may be converted into business leads.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with subcontractors, construction staff and supervisors.
- Maintain and update internal cost database.
- Continuously looking for ways to innovate and improve.
- Continuously looking for ways to improve the company's estimating process.
- Create turn over package to hand over to Project Management and Site Supervisors for project execution.
- Follow company policies and procedures, OHSA regulations and safety policies.
- Minimum 2 years of experience within the Commercial Industry.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in estimating, budgeting and procurement in a construction environment.
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings, specifications and consultants reports.
- Strong mathematical aptitude and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team is essential.
- Computer literacy, with strong knowledge of Excel, Word and Estimating Software.
- Have ground up building experience.
- Have a sound knowledge of construction management agreements, lump sum and design-build contracts.
- Take responsibility of your success and failure.
- Believe in delivering excellence.
- Find solutions to problems that stop others from forging ahead.
- Are a forward thinker.
- Engaging with clients.
- Sales focused individual who enjoys digging into details and finding creative/innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Are resilient in overcoming obstacles and hae deep dedication towards your work.
- Post-secondary degree(s) and/or certificate(s) in architecture, engineering, construction and/or project management.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act regulations
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and vehicle
- Organizational skills
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to apply! It is okay if you don't have 100% of the requirements. If you're the right candidate, we'll help you learn and grow.
Be part of an amazing team of high performers who have a lot of fun together.
Work with a company that believes in investing in employee growth and education.
Be challenged to grow and develop your career.
Be apart of amazing projects and incredible transformations.
Please send your resume with a brief introduction and tell us why you think you'd be great for this role!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $75,000.00-$105,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Guelph, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Give us a brief introduction and tell us why you think you'd be great for this role.
- Construction estimating: 2 years (required)
- Commercial construction: 2 years (required)
Work Location: In person