Specializing in structural engineering, building science, structural restoration, structural glass engineering, parking facility design and building energy modelling, RJC Engineers (RJC) is one of Canada's leading engineering firms. Recognized as an exceptional workplace, we mentor next generation of Canada’s ‘best and brightest’ engineers and technologists. With offices and expertise across Canada, we challenge our people to push technical boundaries and provide leadership in our fields of practice, while providing services for clients and projects nationwide.
We believe in taking care of our people and help them realize their full potential. RJC offers the opportunity to work in an engaging team environment where you will work on exciting and challenging projects, discover new and developing technologies, practices and techniques and where you will flourish in a culture of continuous learning and collaboration. Working under the guidance of leading technical specialists who broadly share their expertise, you will get to fine tune your skills and cultivate your expertise while being given the opportunity to pursue your professional goals.
The Senior Blast Engineer works closely with our Façade Design Team and provides subject matter expertise in developing blast solutions and leading projects. The successful candidate demonstrates strong proficiency in structural dynamics, structural forensics, and finite element analysis. They are comfortable dealing with clients, communicating with contractors and working on active construction sites.
A commitment to providing first-rate client service and technical excellence to deliver practical, creative solutions is essential. An inquisitive outlook, a hard worker who readily and quickly assumes responsibility and a team player who has the ability to work independently with minimum direction are traits that are required to be successful in this role.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with project teams and clients throughout the various phases of the project on developing optimal blast resistant design solutions
- Conduct nonlinear blast response analysis, detailed structural design and design concept development, prepare design specifications, develop and review structural drawings, check and audit numerical calculations
- Analysis and design of blast loaded building structures, development of blast-resistant building upgrades, dynamic nonlinear structural analysis, and numerical analysis using simple and high-fidelity models.
- Perform assessments using nonlinear dynamic analysis and finite element analysis (FEA)
- Research and participate in investigations resulting from explosion, fire incidents, and other accidents as needed, collect evidence, and perform analyses to postulate scenarios.
- Prepare proposals and technical reports, develop presentations, and participate in the development of other technical content in conformance with established quality and professional standards and policies.
- Extensive knowledge of advanced structural engineering principles and techniques commonly employed in the nonlinear design of classical construction materials including steel, reinforced concrete, masonry, wood, etc.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree from accredited institution with a focus on blast engineering and dynamic analysis
- Courses taken in analysis and design of structures (steel, concrete, and masonry) using simplified and advanced methods.
- Professional Engineering (P.Eng) Designation
- Membership in the Register of Security Engineers and Specialists (RSES) considered an asset
- 6-10 years’ previous experience in related blast engineering fields
- Experience in a consulting firm environment considered an asset
- Experience in a construction firm considered an asset
- Experience in Finite Element analysis is a plus
- Strong background in structural and blast engineering, including experience with conducting SDOF analysis and using different commercial software
- Analysis and design of blast loaded building structures
- Development of blast-resistant building upgrades
- Dynamic nonlinear structural analysis
- Numerical analysis using simple and high-fidelity models
- Extensive knowledge of blast resistant design, blast assessment and consequence analysis, and structural and glazing response analysis to high impulse loads
- Knowledge of French language is a plus.
- Experience applying economic principles and conducting life-cycle cost analysis is an asset
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, in person or remotely, as a part of a national building performance group
- Excellent ability to communicate with clients and peers, both verbally and in written format
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with clients, staff, and consultants
- Excellent attention to detail and organization skills
- Advanced Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel skills
- Proven ability to shift focus between changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- An employee owned organization providing greater opportunity
- A comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An extensive and generous benefits package
- A $1000 annual spending account that promotes health, wellness, and an active lifestyle
We appreciate the interest and efforts of all applicants; however only those short-listed as candidates will be contacted. Upon request, accommodations are available for any persons with disabilities participating in the selection process.