Pacific Northern Gas Ltd. (PNG), a subsidiary of TriSummit Utilities Inc., owns and operates natural gas transmission and distribution systems in British Columbia’s lower Peace River, west central, and north coast regions. PNG’s western transmission line extends from the Enbridge gas transmission system north of Prince George along the Highway 16 and Highway 37 south corridors to Terrace and then onto the port communities of Kitimat and Prince Rupert, providing transportation and gas services to twelve communities and a number of industrial facilities. In the Province’s northeast, Pacific Northern Gas (N.E.) Ltd. provides gas transmission and distribution service in the Dawson Creek, Fort St. John and Tumbler Ridge areas.
PNG’s Operations department has an opening for a qualified Measurement Technician to join our team in the Northwest. This position will be based out of any of PNG’s operations offices in Northwest British Columbia (Terrace, Burns Lake, Smithers, Kitimat, Prince Rupert, or Vanderhoof).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Practice and implement safe work procedures and methodology.
- Plan, organize and co-ordinate Measurement Canada Inspections.
- Keep abreast of Measurement Canada legislation and related regulations, new measurement technology, Company Policy and Procedures and Standard Practice Instructions.
- Configure and operate measurement and flow computers and related equipment.
- Inspect, check, service, repair, maintain, calibrate and install gravitometers, and dew point testers.
- Witness meter inspections performed by others.
- Plan, organize, requisition and stock measurement goods and materials for operations and maintenance purposes.
- Research measurement and regulation problems.
- Inspect, check, service, repair and calibrate automatic valves and mainline regulators.
- Assist in the design and development of measurement facilities and related equipment.
- Place stations on or off line in a safe and efficient manner with due consideration for upstream and downstream conditions.
- Operate stations manually during emergencies or as required.
- Direct or carry out work on station equipment, including overhaul of pressure control and limiting devices such as remote activated regulators and valves, filters, scrubbers, all types of measuring equipment and valves.
- Train in the configuration, operation, and maintenance of all electronic measurement and telemetry equipment.
- Continue training toward certification in Instrumentation if taking apprenticeship.
- Assist with the inspection, checking, servicing, repairing, maintenance and calibration of regulation, metering and recording equipment.
- Tag, label, fabricate, construct and alter meter sets and other facilities under supervision.
- Assist with the inspection, checking, servicing, repairing and operation of line heaters, burners, ignitors, pilot assemblies and related heat exchanger equipment.
- Provide direction to other employees pertaining to measurement and pressure regulation activities.
- MUST have successful completion of Instrumentation Apprenticeship (RED SEAL) or vendor training program on telemetry (SCADA) system.
- Basic Grade 12 education with Grade 11 Mathematics and Physics
- A valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
- Must be capable of reading and interpreting Engineering drawings, technical reports and operating manuals.
- Must be in good physical condition.
- Demonstrated safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practice on a sustained basis.
- Must have the ability to acquire the skills to evaluate conditions quickly, accurately and make decisions to achieve optimum results, particularly under emergency and/or stressful circumstances.
- Demonstrated mechanical ability.
- Strong technical writing and oral communication skills.
- Must have the ability to train other employees.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience as a Measurement Technician.
- Must have a minimum of two (2) years’ of relative experience in a natural gas utility.
This position is within the bargaining unit (IBEW).
Pacific Northern Gas is committed to recruiting an inclusive and diverse workforce that represents the community we proudly serve. Inclusion and diversity strengthen our ability to partner for progress by inviting different ideas and perspectives and promoting innovative thinking, creativity and open communications.
While we appreciate all applications, we advise that only the candidates selected to participate in the recruitment process will be contacted. If you are a candidate with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the application process, please email us at [email protected]. Include your full name, the best way to reach you, and the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.