theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app 'theScore' is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore's sports betting app 'theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino' delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company's home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
About the Role & Team
As part of the Sportsbook Core team, you will be working alongside smart, friendly, and dedicated Engineers and Product Managers. Our mission is to build and maintain the internal services that power theScore Bet platform. The Sportsbook Core team builds the gateway into theScore's internal betting ecosystem, offering mobile and web applications everything they need to power theScore Bet. This includes server driven Betslips, fully customizable betting marketplaces, account details and more. We are responsible for the ingestion and distribution of thousands of betting updates every second in real time to empower the user to place bets at the best possible odds. We also manage the full lifecycle of a bet from placement to settlement, respecting a user's responsible gaming limits while also financially adjusting accounts as quickly as possible to ensure the best user experience. We take pride in delivering highly reliable and scalable solutions that give users the best experience. We're always looking for ways to not only improve our knowledge but also share knowledge throughout the company.
About the Work
- Manage the day-to-day activities of one or more software development teams, providing goal setting, mentorship, coaching, leadership, guidance and performance management and feedback.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure team health, knowledge sharing, and deliverables are defined and met.
- Ensure development deliverables are documented and key decisions are recorded in accordance with the design and development process.
- Help with hiring initiatives across the engineering department.
- Assist in identifying process problems and contribute to the continual enhancement of the design, development processes and system architecture.
- Ensure development follows the development process throughout the development lifecycle.
- Establish success metrics (KPIs and SLAs) and monitor team and system performance.
- Collaborate with the team to meet performance, scalability, and reliability goals.
- Stay current with trends, techniques, technology, and other factors impacting the job incorporating as deemed necessary.
- Other duties as required.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, and software/system design.
- Minimum 3-5 years in a leadership or management role combined with at least 8 years of experience in software development.
- Experience leading teams of 5 engineers or more.
- Demonstrated time management, project management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to various stakeholders, including nontechnical members of the organization.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Demonstrated collaborative work style with the ability to effectively collaborate and work with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects while adhering to strict deadlines.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills with a proven ability to delegate.
- Experience with modern framework and API development (Phoenix, Ruby on Rails, Node, Django, etc).
- Experience with background job processing and messaging systems (Kafka, Oban, Sidekiq, Celery, Beanstalk, RabbitMQ).
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation package.
- Comprehensive Benefits package.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
Education and conference reimbursements.
theScore is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.