Western Forest Products has an exciting leadership opportunity for a TFL Forester to be based out of our Englewood Forest Operation in Woss, BC. The successful incumbent could live in Campbell River, Woss, or Port McNeill.
What You’ll Do: The TFL Forester plays a critical role in achieving operational and corporate goals including standardizing and coordinating WFP’s Forest Strategy in the areas of Stewardship, Silviculture, and Sustainable Forest Management; developing strategic planning and certification programs; and overseeing the First Nation Information Sharing Process. You will manage, train and coach all silviculture and planning employees and contractors at the operation.
Who You Are: This is a great opportunity for an experienced RPF searching for a rewarding career where they can have a significant impact. We are looking for a strategic, innovative and creative leader with a strong sense of initiative and proven ability to lead a team with superior communication skills. You have strong knowledge of BC coastal silviculture and forest harvesting practices with a strong focus on improving safety and quality.
About WFP's Forestry Team: WFP demonstrates an industry leading forest management strategy with a focus on silviculture, climate change, carbon management, biodiversity, public engagement, water and much more. Our Timberlands Operations are located on the Sunshine Coast in Powell River as well as throughout the north and west portions of beautiful Vancouver Island. We have more than 100 Forest Professionals sustainably delivering timber from our 6 area based Tree Farm Licenses and 10 volume based tenures to the 8 manufacturing facilities WFP owns and operates on Vancouver Island.
- Provide leadership in safety and environmental stewardship by demonstrating and ensuring the adherence to company safety and sustainability processes and procedures.
- Oversees the development and implementation of plans, budgets and forecasts that support long term timber supply. This includes preparing annual harvest plans while achieving rapid attainment of green-up and free growing in support of improved harvest flexibility and a reduced silviculture provision balance, monitoring spending and reporting results including accounting for silviculture provision to ensure compliance with WFP’s financial policies and meeting Operations financial results.
- Manages and supervises Foresters, Planners and contractors at the operation; mentors resource professionals and upholds professional decision making and independence;
- Actively maintain current and potential mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations partners, Government agencies and public and private interest groups to support access to incremental fibre;
- Oversees the First Nations Information Sharing process to ensure continuity of the planning and harvesting process and compliance with legislated and legal requirements.
- Oversees the overall management of the Silviculture Program at the Operations level to ensure compliance with WFP’s legislated obligations and to maintain or enhance the value of Western’s tenures and land holdings.
- Responsible for the EMS and CSA or SFI Sustainable Forest Management processes at the Operation level to ensure alignment with WFP’s Environmental Policy and the Timberlands EMS, CSA and SFI certifications;
- Support and peer review the various plans and assessments associated with cutblock development including: Site Plans, Harvest, Road, Silviculture and Deactivation Instructions, Cutting Permit Submissions, Road Permit Submissions and related projects, and preparation of other applications as necessary; and,
- Prepare the Forest Stewardship Plan and related amendments, as required.
Education & Experience
- 10+ years of experience in Forestry Planning in increasingly responsible roles;
- Post-secondary degree in Forestry or related degree in Natural Resource Management;
- Current accreditation as an RPF with the Association of BC Forest Professionals; and
- Experience in the coastal forestry industry is preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Required Competencies
- Excellent understanding and comprehension of Forest Management and Land Use Planning;
- Thorough knowledge of professional forestry obligations and technical forestry practices;
- Sound understanding of forestry and environmental legislation;
- Expertise in management of operational plans and forestry related tenures, licenses and permits;
- Proven ability to work in a team environment with good communication skills and an ability to speak confidently in a public setting;
- Strong financial and business acumen;
- Knowledge of road construction and forest harvesting practices with a strong focus on improving safety, quality, and efficiency; and
- Experience with forestry software (LRM, Plant Wizard and Forest Ops) as well as technology (i.e. LiDAR) would be considered an asset.
At Western Forest Products, we believe our most significant asset is our people. Investing in our people brings value and success to our business, ensuring a safe, engaged, productive and continuously improving workplace. We offer challenging opportunities working alongside the best in the industry to meet your career and professional development goals while providing competitive total rewards and recognition.
We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
Our total rewards offering including competitive pay, performance bonus, pension plan, benefits and other programs designed to support our employees.
Western Forest Products is a leading forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with operations in the coastal region of BC and Washington State, Western meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering.
Our commitment to health and safety, environmental stewardship and community engagement is core to how we do business at Western Forest Products.
Our approach to responsible business practices in all aspects of our business is multi-faceted. We adhere to and employ the most stringent environmental practices in the world. The steps we take to ensure the forests in which we operate are renewed and remain healthy and viable for future generations are mirrored in the care we take to make certain our communities continue to grow and prosper. This includes investing in communities where we operate and continuing to forge mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations in respect of their local and cultural interests.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: In person