POSITION SUMMARY :
The Process Engineer will work closely with the Graymont manufacturing plants and the Graymont Process Engineering Team to provide direction, leadership, training, troubleshooting processes, plant optimization and small project support while implementing and sustaining a company Process Optimization Plan (POP).
This position will act as the Process Team Leader and Process Functional Lead on key plant projects that are assigned, including reviewing process flow diagrams, general arrangement drawings, equipment selection, commissioning, etc. As a member of the Graymont process engineering team, this position will also be expected to participate in process related activities across all of Graymont’s operations in North America.
Substantial travel is required, and the successful applicant can be located within reasonable proximity of a Graymont plant, office and/or major airport within the Canada (relocation may be required).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
· Promote safety as a value with all employees.
· Effective communication and team building skills. Ability to listen, understand and communicate high value ideas.
· Provide leadership and participate actively to ensure the highest standards are achieved and maintained in terms of safety, environment, quality, and efficiency.
· Assist plant staff and front-line staff with the technical and cultural change to the continuous improvement process, to ensure POP implementation is successful at the manufacturing plants.
· Assist in the development and monitoring of process Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
· Assist with developing audit protocols, for monitoring and measuring processes to ensure future sustainability and continuous improvement.
· Lead and direct cross functional teams to continuously improve our technical knowledge, processes, and efficiency.
· Ability to train others on lime and limestone manufacturing processes and systems.
· Work with employees, contractors, and consultants to sustain and develop innovative initiatives to improve operational performance.
· Participate in plant safety, environmental, and community committees along with other plant functions, as requested by plant management.
ENVIRONMENTAL & REGULATORY
· Maintain an active partnership with plant personnel and Graymont’s internal Health, Safety, and Environmental team to maintain compliance with all process related internal and external health, safety, environmental, and regulatory requirements.
· Understand good combustion practices, be familiar with each operating plants Title V permit and emissions limits.
TECHNICAL SKILLS – Current proficiency or ability to develop the following skill set
· Troubleshoot process issues and problem-solving in general.
· Electrical, programming, instrumentation, and controls background a strong asset.
· Analyze and identify process improvement opportunities including: safety, efficiency, quality, and emissions related activities relating to limestone processing, calcination, hydration, and bulk material handling.
· Manage implementation of process improvement opportunities.
· Develop written scope of work that is consistent with Graymont project governance.
· Provide assistance to support required permitting activities.
· Provide technical troubleshooting assistance as required to maintain plant operation and maintenance functions.
· Participate in the development of project concepts, flow sheets, equipment specifications, and layouts that incorporate Graymont and industry wide best practices.
· Ability to perform heat and mass balances on processes at the manufacturing plants utilizing tools such as, tape measure, pitot tubes, hand-held thermometer, magneheilc gauges, portable gas analyzer.
· Identify, develop, continuously improve, and communicate the best available process practices developed within Graymont.
o Ensure that “all critical modification s ” to processes are communicated to, and documented with, Graymont’s process and engineering support group.
o Participate in the development of project concepts, flow sheets, equipment specifications, and layouts that incorporate Graymont and industry wide best practices.
o Keep abreast of the latest technological developments in lime and related industries.
· Perform key job functions with minimal supervision and direction.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS :
· Proven track record of developing and maintaining a safe work culture and leadership.
· Minimum B.S. in a technical engineering field.
· 4+ years of engineering experience in lime, cement, or similar industrial minerals or heavy industries.
· A proven track record of motivating, coaching, and developing people. The ability to apply these skills for alignment with Graymont’s vision and values.
· Excellent communication skills (written and spoken), excellent organizational skills.
· The ability to process complex information putting together the cause-and-effect relationship(s) of said data.
· Effective decision-making skills.
· Project management and/or plant commissioning experiences are desired.
· Ability to speak French is a plus.
· Strong computer analysis and presentation skills.
· Demonstrated aptitude and learning ability in pyro processing and process control applications.
· Able to work effectively as part of a team and independently (self-directed).
· Ability and willingness to travel 50% required. Travel will be planned in advance, will be mostly regional but will include occasional travel to U.S.
The applicant must be eligible to work in both Canada and US, and/or must be able to obtain the required work visa.