Role: Director – Marketing and Communications
Location: Toronto, ON
Job Type: Hybrid – WFH + In Office
Who We Are
Smith + Andersen (S+A) is a trusted, Canadian, multi-disciplinary engineering firm with ten office locations in five provinces and approximately 700 employees. The S+A Toronto office provides the shared service support (Accounting, Business Development and Proposals, HR, IT, Legal, Marketing and Communications, and Operations) for all ten, national offices. S+A Toronto has approximately 250 employees.
At Smith + Andersen, our employees contribute to some of the most innovative and sustainable building design projects in Canada. The work we do has meaningful impact on the community by contributing to landmark projects such as hospitals, transit stations, parks, federal and provincial government buildings and post-secondary institutions.
Our values drive and define everything we do, demonstrating a deep commitment to mentorship and quality work that spans nearly six decades in business. In addition, we are proud to have been certified as a Great Place to Work® for the highly collaborative culture we’ve built and for empowering employees to do great work!
The Toronto office of Smith + Andersen is seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications (MARCOMM). As a visionary marketing and communications professional, you are responsible for developing and managing a team of marketing and communication professionals that supports internal and external communications, marketing strategies including digital marketing, event management, and public relations activities for all offices that are part of The Smith + Andersen Group (TSAG) including our sister Firm, S+A Footprint. As a strong story teller, you will champion and advocate for Smith + Andersen as Firm of Choice for both internal and external clients.
As an executive member of TSAG Shared Services team, the Director of Marketing and Communications will be involved in nation-wide strategic planning and will report to the TSAG management committee (MC). The director will work closely with all Shared Service directors.
Why choose Smith + Andersen?
In addition to an exciting career filled with meaningful work, we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible hours and half day Fridays (all year round)
- Comprehensive Group Health Benefits Program, including a Health Spending Account
- Group Retirement Savings Plan (Employer and Employee Contributions)
- Employee Share Ownership Program (ESOP)
- Purchase Time Off Program (PTO)
- Transit Subsidy Program
- Wide variety of community and social events
- Great Place to Work® Certified
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the development and implementation of the Marketing and Communication Strategy and associated plan documents to support internal and external client engagement, business priorities, growth, market position and overall brand.
- Manage and strategize regular business communications from the leadership team (principals and management committee) with an ongoing strategy for major announcements.
- Provide design, content, and strategic support for corporate documents such as Annual General Meetings, Sustainability Report and Corporate Responsibility Report.
- Oversee the strategic and creative design of a wide range of internal communication activities and materials, along with the implementation and training thereof, including: Organizational videos, quarterly Internal newsletters, email templates and email support for organizational announcements, office imagery to align with Brand, writing guides, staff and project photography (organize, procure, select, and edit), CV development and maintenance and new hire announcements.
- Manage and strategize the organizational use of social media (monitor, content, and calendar). Evaluate the success of social media campaign and identify trends and opportunities for the organization.
- Develop, maintain, and train stakeholders on Firm Branding Guidelines. Ensure brand identity, messaging, and marketing and communications strategy are infused in all organizational efforts. Identify and manage S+A sponsorship where there are branding opportunities.
- Manage the ongoing development of Firm’s intranet (SAiD) to improve the user experience (UX/UI). Collaborate with project team members to conduct a needs analysis. Responsible for presenting findings and collaborating with TSAG team members to determine best approach for technical development.
- Continually develop, maintain, and improve the organizational website of both Smith + Andersen and S+A Footprint.
- Manage and strategize the organizational use of client events to expand brand identity, with MarCom team collaborating with regional “Event Champions” across the ten offices to execute events from initial concept to close-out.
- Oversee the Marcom team as it implements the strategic and creative design of a wide range of external communication activities and materials, along with the implementation and training thereof, including: advertisements, Corporate videos, Corporate PowerPoint presentations, Public relations, Project photography (organize, procure, select, and edit), Project profiles for website and proposal generation, Staff CV’s for proposal generation and thought leadership program/Blogs.
- Foster the development of the corporate writing team as a service to both support the internal efforts of MarCom and a broader range of support for the Business Development/Proposals team.
- Collaborate with the Shared Services leadership team to develop and maintain a strategic perspective in organizational direction and decision making to ensure the overall health and vitality of the organization. Ensure each Share Service is fully aware of the activities and responsibilities of the MarCom team and, conversely, that each Share Service understands the needs of the MarCom team.
- Swag management including researching suppliers, designing, organizing and executing the day to day of swag operations.
- Collaborate to optimize the delivery of shared services to all offices that are part of The Smith + Andersen Group. Support Share Services to ensure consistency, brand continuity, and general quality of communication in the areas of: rollout/communication of new Shared Service programs and processes, training documents (look, feel, and message), office imagery/art and Operations Business continuity plan (look, feel, and message).
- Ensure that the appropriate staffing and procedures are in place to effectively support marketing and communications and any required staffing needs assessment is presented to senior leadership for approval.
- Oversee all aspects of awards submission process. Liaise with senior leadership team regarding content, submission requirements and strategy.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience leading and implementing marketing and communications strategies and associated activities. Previous experience in a related industry; such as engineering, construction or architecture is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing the design and production of publications, website management, and social media content creation and management.
- Knowledge and experience with marketing and communications technologies and tools. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suites and Adobe InDesign.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing successful social marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated track record of successful project deliver and project management with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in UX and Ui
- Excellent written and communication skills including written story telling skills within a technical corporate environment. Proven ability to communicate and sell concepts.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to effectively work with stakeholders including shared services leadership and cross-functional teams.
- Strong business acumen to understand business needs and align with marketing and communications.
- Highly innovative with an attention to detail and an ability/willingness to accept direction.
- Flexible and a self-starter: able to work independently with minimal supervision and manage concurrent projects while also being highly detail-oriented with an attention to quality.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Strong leadership skills, to hire, train, mentor and lead a team.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith and Andersen is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates of any age, culture, subculture, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nationality, race, ethnicity, family status, religion, mental or physical status, or veteran status.
About Smith + Andersen
Founded in 1965, Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Smith + Andersen has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design.
Thanks to our client-focused approach, we are able to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully-integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, we have established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country.
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com.
Smith + Andersen welcomes interest by individual applicants. For resumes or applications submitted by agencies or recruiters with which Smith + Andersen does not have an agreement in place, Smith + Andersen will not pay any referral with which Smith + Andersen does not have agreement place. Unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies or recruiters will be deemed to have been referred without fee or other charges.