MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Reporting to the Director of IT, the Software Developer, to design, create, and maintain software applications for the business. This role plays a crucial role in translating concepts and ideas into functional code, ensuring that the software is reliable, efficient and user friendly. To succeed in this role, you will need to have a continuous process improvement approach, have excellent organizational, prioritization and interpersonal skills, and be a team player.
- Write and develop clean, maintainable code using programming languages and tools relevant to the project’s requirements.
- Conduct thorough testing of software to identify and fix bugs, ensuring the software functions are as intended.
- Analyze complex technical problems and find innovative solutions to address them effectively.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to align technical implementation with business goals and user requirements.
- Create documentation for code, processes, and project architecture to facilitate collaboration and future maintenance.
- Identify opportunities to enhance software performance, scalability, and security.
- Manage the deployment of software to various environments, ensuring it operates smoothly in different settings.
- Perform routine maintenance, updates, and improvements to ensure the software remains functional and secure over time.
- Manage tasks, timelines, and priorities to meet project deadlines and deliver high-quality software.
- Integrate security best practices into the development process to safeguard against vulnerabilities and data breaches.
- Participate in code reviews to provide and receive constructive feedback from peers, leading to improved code quality.
- Investigate and resolve issue reported by users or identified through monitoring and testing.
- Integrate third-party services, APIs, and libraries to enhance software functionality.
- Coordinate internal and external vendors to improve overall functionality and ease of process.
- Perform other job duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Skill in identifying and resolving bugs and writing effective unit tests to ensure software quality
- Understanding of database systems and the ability to design, query, and optimize databases.
- Working knowledge of Paylocity, CMiC or Sage is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication with outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to work with all professional levels; must be a team player who can also work independently
- Able to effectively communicate technical concepts, challenges, and solutions to non-technical stakeholders.
- Possess a desire for continuous learning and stays up-to-date with the latest programming languages, frameworks, and industry trends to enhance skills and maintain relevance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Development, or related field
- Microsoft SQL or Oracle SQL, is considered an asset
- 5 years of related experience is required
- Project Management experience with Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) is considered preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Power App’s is considered an asset
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Competitive Compensation Package
- An industry leading comprehensive benefits program, including extended health and dental
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employer Contributions to RRSP, as well as Employee Employer Matching
- Health and Wellness Spending Accounts, where unused amounts carry over before being deposited in RRSP.
- Eligible for discretionary performance bonus
- Hybrid Work environment
- The opportunity to work with a great team where Safety is an integral part of our culture
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Universal Rail Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Software development: 5 years (preferred)
- Mircosoft SQL or Oracle SQL: 2 years (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Edmonton, AB T6B 3B8