Dennis Group Canada and IFAB Engineering Partners Ltd. are seeking serious applicants to fill the role of Structural Engineer. Work is performed in collaboration with a full complement of designers and engineers from a variety of disciplines. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Structural Engineer will provide structural design expertise on a variety of projects ad leadership for structural design analysis, code compliance and drawing reviews. This role provides the opportunity to utilize technical skills, stay abreast with industry standards and trends, as well as being a key team player to the successful completion of projects.
The ideal candidate for this position has experience working as a structural engineer on both commercial and industrial buildings, and enjoys the challenges associated with renovations. Experience collaborating with a team and knowledge of the food and beverage sector would highlight an exemplary candidate. We seek people who are proud of their work, and who go the distance to ensure both accuracy and on time delivery. In return, we offer an opportunity to work with a first-class group of professionals, in a vibrant modern office with a culture of openness, transparency, and work/life balance.
Key duties and responsibilities
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Perform in the capacity of a fully licensed structural engineer with the authority to seal drawings;
- Work closely with designers, fellow engineers, technical specialists, and project managers to design optimized industrial and commercial facilities;
- Evaluate and interpret project requirements in order to develop innovative and good value solutions to clients’ needs;
- Participate in design team collaboration in order to achieve optimal design;
- Perform field investigations, computer modeling, structural analysis on existing, proposed, and in-progress structures;
- Provide structural design and engineering for building permits, tendering of work, and general construction;
- Support the total project providing counsel on good building practices and problem solving for any particular site conditions;
- Act as a project manager when appropriate;
- Review shop drawings and perform site observations to validate general conformance to design; and
- Work under the guidance of the director of engineering to develop design skills and ensure design quality standards are met
- Degree in Structural Engineering from a recognized college, university or training institution;
- Minimum of three years of experience as a certified Professional Engineer;
- Demonstrated working understanding of the Ontario Building Code and the National Building Code;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong technical, organizational, and coordination skills, as demonstrated through previous project work;
- Demonstrated ability and interest to work as part of a team;
- Desire to develop skills and expand career;
- Proven experience with office software such as the MS Office Suite; and
- Experience in the Food and Beverage Industry considered an asset but is not a requirement.
Travel and working conditions
- Work is generally completed in a newly renovated office environment, with some work also being completed from individual homes;
- Some travel is necessary to support project presentations at client sites across Canada; travel is expected to be 10-20% of the time, with some overnight stays expected.
Together, Dennis Group and IFAB Engineering Partners Ltd are the premier food and beverage engineering and construction management company in Canada. We are a local company with a global footprint that plans, designs, engineers, and builds food plants for major brands. Under the moniker “Better Together”, Dennis Group and IFAB formed a strategic partnership in 2020 based on our shared values and unique focus on exclusively serving clients in the food and beverage production industry.
We offer competitive compensation packages commensurate with experience. We provide comprehensive employee benefits including medical, dental, life, disability insurance, group retirement, as well as bonus, profit-sharing, and group retirement match opportunities. We have a strong focus on work-life balance and offer a flexible work environment through our Connected Workplace program.