We Help Communities Build for Tomorrow.
At Vicwest, we are “Building for Tomorrow” and are currently looking for a manufacturing Engineer,reporting into our Burlington, Ontario office.
Since 1930, Vicwest has been Canada’s designer and manufacturer of metal roofing and building envelope systems that withstand our harshest climates. Not only are our products environmentally friendly, but our aim is to produce them in the most environmentally responsible way.
This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s best-known building materials suppliers as we embark on a significant growth journey through new product launches and market penetration. As part of the Kingspan Group, Vicwest has an ambitious sustainability program, Planet Passionate, revolving around the impact of building materials on the environment.
This is an ideal role for a candidate who is looking to work in a dynamic and progressive company, and who wants to play a pivotal role in building our product development and compliance management systems. If you are looking to join a company that is customer focused and a company that values product quality while driving innovation, then we want you on our team!
The Industrial Engineer will champion and lead manufacturing Capex projects with respect to new products, line extensions and automation of existing products that are in line with Vicwest’s strategic direction and market penetration goals. This role will be instrumental in translating Capex projects, new design ideas, product material needs, and manufacturing processes into cost-optimized, time study details to support initiatives, manufacturable and marketable solutions.
The Industrial Engineer will improve equipment reliability through maintenance preventive and predictive strategies. In addition, this role will develop systems for job performance analysis, ensuring control procedures are correctly put in place for employees.
Another significant responsibility will be to support QMS initiatives for new product implementation, materials and/or equipment changes to meet customer requirements. The development of new products while advancing technologies and grow our leadership position in construction market are also essential components of this role.
The Industrial Engineer will report into the VP, Operations.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Ensure that Vicwest equipment projects:
- Have correct scope of project identified with expected performance.
- Are accurate and detailed in costing when applying Capex request.
- Quality policy and objectives are maintained and support QMS process when implementing projects.
- Responsible for creating, detailed Gant chart for project schedules with details identifying critical path or components.
- Deliver equipment optimization road map for future growth to utilize factory floor space and allow strategic growth.
- Secure alignment and commitment for all relevant projects including engineering, quality, safety, supply chain, sales, marketing, and operations.
- Attend and assist on equipment failures and identify “Root cause” through correct review with operations.
- Identify equipment improvements to support manpower shortages.
- Identify efficiency opportunities in labour and equipment through various time study measurements.
- Ensure that Vicwest products meet customer requirements and continuously improve the quality systems through preventative and corrective action processes.
- Reduce the cost of poor quality through equipment improvements and operator understanding.
- Improve manufacturing efficiency at Vicwest operations with study and automation.
- Responsible for engineering tasks during the project reviews and purchase.
- Testing concepts/ideas, prototype equipment for performance expectations.
- Ensure all equipment achieves national and local equipment safety standards, design certification standards and legislation.
- Develop new project opportunities while advancing technologies to grow Vicwest’s manufacturing position.
- Develop project plans, project schedules, resource requirements, and analyses and appropriately apply evaluation criteria to each assigned potential project.
- Serve on cross functional teams and provide input, direction and/or leadership in all qualified areas, consistent with our team-based business approach.
- Completed Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) degree
- 10 years of engineering experience in the steel manufacturing industry
- 3-5 years of experience in Lean Manufacturing
- Project Management, developing and manufacturing experience
- Highly competent with lean tools and methods such as, Five S, Six Sigma, Kaizen and Root-cause analysis
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Visio, Pivot tables, etc)
- Critical thinking, problem solving and creativity skills
- Familiar with SAP
- Familiarity with ISO standards would be an asset
- Knowledge of Vicwest’s building products and building envelope designs an asset
- Ability to communicate in French is an asset
- Analytical, organizational and time management skills
- Detail-oriented and ability to run several projects simultaneously
- Highly motivated and able to work independently
- Possesses strong leadership, team building and coaching qualities
- Ability to identify problems and initiate corrective and preventative actions
- Results driven to deliver value and cost savings
- Highly effective and persuasive communicator
- Ability to come up with relevant creative and innovative ideas
Vicwest welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
Interested in this role?
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Hands on troubleshooting equipment: 2 years (required)
- Six Sigma Certification (preferred)
- Professional Engineering license in Canada (preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: In person