Pharmacy Technician Job Summary
The Pharmacy Technician assists the pharmacist in fulfilling prescriptions, welcoming patients and dispensing medication. He or she must provide unparalleled customer care. He or she is also responsible of purchasing pharmacy merchandise.
Service to patients
- Welcome patients in a professional and considerate manner.
- Comply with legal intervention limits regarding patients and confidentiality.
- Respond to questions from patients or refer them to the pharmacist, as the case may be.
- Receive and forward suggestions from patients to the person in charge.
- Respond to telephone calls and record information regarding prescription refills. Filter all other calls.
- Check refill prescriptions, transfer prescriptions, take verbal prescriptions and other duties as per College of Pharmacy Standards of Practice.
- Collect the relevant patient information. Create and update patient records on the computer.
- Enter and renew prescriptions and sterile products on the computer.
- Prepare the packaging of prescriptions by counting pills and applying labels and appropriate precautions on the vials.
- Obtain the pharmacist’s approval for prescriptions and other documents.
- Record purchases on the e-terminal and handle cash, credit card and debit payments, where applicable.
- Transfer claims to insurers and settle various problems regarding these claims.
- Coordinate the delivery service for prescriptions and sterile products.
- Dispose of biomedical waste in a safe manner.
- Prepare and package sterile products.
- Organize the preparation of pills and blister cards.
- Determine and obtain approval for laboratory product sale prices.
- Conduct regular monetary deposits or currency orders and fill out a cash report.
- Ensure sufficient supply quantities for the proper functioning of operations.
- Ensure laboratory or equipment cleanliness and disinfection. Maintain an orderly work environment.
- Open and close the pharmacy according to control and follow-up procedures, where applicable.
- Manage the purchasing of the medication and material required in the preparation of sterile products.
- Identify the merchandise needs and prepare orders for suppliers.
- Verify the content of the merchandise on delivery. Verify this content against the invoices and purchase orders.
- Place the products in the proper location and ensure the rotation of medication according to expiry dates and established protocols.
- Conduct merchandise claims from various companies and ship the returns. Employee Management (where applicable)
- Establish a list of priorities, distribute tasks to employees and ensure the performance of these tasks.
- Prepare work schedules according to operational needs.
- Take part in hiring, welcoming, training and evaluating the performance of new employees.
- Collaborate with management to implement disciplinary measures.
- Communicate all relevant information to employees regarding work procedures
- Coordinate professional events for the department.
- Mobilize employees to create a harmonious work environment.
- Perform all other responsibilities required by management.
- Registered Pharmacy Technician License in BC
Injection certification, an asset
- Highly developed sense of customer care;
- Communication skills;
- Listening and empathy skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Team spirit;
- Able to stay up-to-date on his or her field of expertise.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $28.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Secondary School (preferred)
- pharmacy: 1 year (preferred)
- Registered Pharmacy Technician License (required)
Work Location: In person