Following a significant expansion, the OSCO Construction Group rebranded its ready-mix concrete operations as OSCO Concrete in 2009, making it one of the largest ready-mix players in the Atlantic Region, operating the largest pump fleet, in both number and size. OSCO Concrete has been supplying ready-mix concrete to the Saint John region since 1968 and the Moncton region since 2004 using a large fleet of modern, concrete mixer trucks.
The Plant Assistant is responsible for general customer service and support of all day-to-day operational functions. The ideal candidate must take time to learn the business and concrete industry, allowing them to perform their duties focusing on a high level of quality, attention to detail and ownership of work as well as being able to effectively communicate with a diverse network of both internal and external customers. The Plant Assistant will need to be a team player, willing to support other areas of the business as needed to ensure product meets quality standards and project timelines are kept.
- Daily reports, driver scheduling, paperwork, invoicing, reconciliations, time entry and payroll administration
- General customer service including answering phone calls and processing orders
- Job site visits and inspections
- Batching of concrete and dispatching of fleet using a computerized batching system
- Delivery scheduling including coordination with customers and dispatch, monitoring progress of work to ensure schedules are being met, reworking best fit scenarios based on project need
- Quality control of product and pours to ensure job specifications are met
- Liaise with fleet department and local service providers for truck breakdown and repair coordination
- Bulk sand and stone inventory management for ready mix plants
- Prepare shipping documents, purchase requisitions, and daily sales for walk-in customers
- Conduct pipe yard inventory counts on a weekly basis including monthly reporting
- Coordinate new employee orientations, routine training and toolbox talks
- Complete PPE audits for drivers and sites
- Initiate and maintain a healthy environment with respect to cleanliness, production and safety
- Additional duties as required
- Successful completion of a related post-secondary program or prior relevant experience
- Previous experience working with concrete or within the construction industry would be considered an asset
- Technologically inclined and adept at learning new systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, including Excel, PowerPoint as well as Teams
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work well under pressure
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills ensuring exceptional customer service both internally and externally
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Must be willing and able to travel to job sites when required
- Self-starter with effective organizational and time management skills, able to work well with minimal supervision
- Flexibility with work schedules and the ability to work irregular hours when necessary
As a member of the OSCO Construction Group, we offer a comprehensive compensation package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, RRSP and tax-free savings account options. Additionally, we offer educational scholarships to children of employees, health & wellness programming, celebratory events and employee sport team sponsorships.
The origins of the OSCO Construction Group go back to 1955 when Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd. was founded in Saint John, New Brunswick. Since that time, the OSCO Construction Group has grown to encompass four main operating sectors: Steel, Concrete, Construction and Corporate . Within these sectors lie an ever-expanding number of construction-related companies and divisions, serving a growing market area and employing over twelve hundred employees.