Position Title: Sr Business Intelligence Developer \*(6-month Contract)
Location: Oakville, ON
About Samuel, Son & Co. Ltd.
At Samuel, we believe every team member brings unique and valuable skills, experiences and knowledge to our thriving business – enabling us to build on over 167 years of success in the metals industry. We offer countless opportunities for our team members to develop and grow in their careers, empower them to make decisions on the job and be a part of driving positive change – within our organization and in the communities where we live and work. If you’re seeking an inclusive, supportive and welcoming workplace to make your mark and grow your career, we have the programs, culture and opportunities to make it happen. We’re stronger together.
Here are some of the great benefits that we offer:
- Competitive wage
- Company paid health and dental benefits
- Paid vacation and an annual bonus
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company match
- Opportunity for career stability and growth
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Flexibility with start and end times (depending on circumstances and position)
- Protective personal equipment is provided or cost of purchase is reimbursed
- Affinity group for women (dependent on location)
- On the job training
- Design and develop cubes in SSAS to be used in Power BI (i.e. Tabular and multi-dimensional)
- Have experience in working with Cloud solutions, preferably Microsoft Azure / Synapse
- Develop and maintain Business Intelligence reporting and Samuel One Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Scope, plan a variety of reports, analytics, dashboards, and metrics using Microsoft Power BI Desktop tool and Power BI Report builder.
- Develop/Maintain Master Data management (MDM) process and tools (i.e. Maestro).
- Extensive experience with developing and implementing complex ETLs using SSIS.
- Actively validate data being retrieved from source systems.
- Design and configure Samuel corporate reporting portal.
- Gather business requirements and determine business needs and scope for projects.
- Liaise with technical and non-technical departments to create an effective end user experience.
- Monitor report usage and speed to attain the highest level of achievable performance.
- Maintain and troubleshoot Samuel enterprise data warehouse.
- Actively participate in any corporate reporting portal upgrades.
- Provide training to EIM team on developing BI dashboard/reports
- Provide training to end users on performing self-serve reporting/analytics
- Reacts to time sensitive issues when problems occur
- Complete assigned tasks/projects within due dates
Increasing BI / Sigma Effectiveness
- Have an active relationship with key business leaders to determine “pain points” and actively develop reporting solutions.
- Stay current with industry trends, advise and educate management on their relative importance and impact
- Identify data patterns and data insights that could help with metrics and reporting
- Assist with project management activities
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s in computer science (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Extensive experience and passion for business intelligence and data warehousing.
- Experience in the metal manufacturing and/or distribution space would be considered a definite asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of ERP is required, Microsoft D365FO would be preferred.
- Have experience with Microsoft Modern data platform / Azure Synapse (including tools like Azure Data factory, SQL Azure DW, Data lake BYOD)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must to succeed in this position.
- Ability to learn quickly inside of a team environment.
- Must have at least 7 years’ experience working with SQL language and SQL Server 2012/2016 BI stack:
- Stored Procedures
- SSIS (Developing ETLs)
- SSAS (Tabular models and Multi-dimensional OLAP cubes, DAX and MDX scripting) and SSRS.
- Must have experience with tabular cube builds in SSAS and Master data management.
- Must be able to gather business requirements from end users
- Must have experience with Power BI Desktop and Power BI Report Builder tools.
- Ability to program in XML, CSS, .NET and web-based languages would be an asset.
- Flare for presenting information to a variety of users.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to interact effectively with team members and business users.
At Samuel we believe in a culture of equality. Respect and integrity are at our core. We are committed to building and embracing a diverse workforce and creating an environment that is open and inclusive for everyone.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary