WHO WE ARE
Commissionaires Nova Scotia is the province’s not-for-profit provider of security, safety, training, and identification services. We are an independent member of Commissionaires Canada, our parent federation employing over 22,000 nationwide. We exist to provide meaningful employment for veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP, their families, and anyone else who wants to contribute to the security and well-being of Nova Scotians.
We are recognized with global certifications for our exceptional customer service, management standards, and environmental stewardship.
WHAT WE OFFER
A sought-after employer and community partner, we can help you achieve your goals through challenging work, professional development, and career advancement opportunities. We strive to continually improve and leverage technology to support our growing customer base across Nova Scotia.
- Higher-than-industry pay rates
- Health, drug, and dental benefits
- Life and accident insurance
- RRSP /TFSA Matching
- Two weeks vacation pay, plus five days personal time off
- Free uniforms and equipment
- High-quality, formal, and on-job training
- Annual paid loyalty award
- Education assistance funds and family scholarship programs
- Advancement opportunities within a large, national organization
Position: Security Guard (hiring multiple positions)
Competition Number: CNS 2023-08-14
Reports to: Site Supervisor
Rate of Pay: $16.50 - $18.00 per hour. Scale of compensation is variable, and reflective of site contracts. Please note, some of our sites are unionized work environments.
Working Hours: Full and Part-time positions available. Rotating 8–12-hour shifts, various hours/days of the week. Flexibility required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
While duties vary by assignment, the responsibilities of this role may include, but are not limited to:
- Protecting people, property, and information
- Conducting on-foot perimeter and search patrols (inside and outdoors)
- Monitoring and responding to alarm and security systems
- Ensuring the health and safety of self and others in the workplace
- Adhering to CNS’ Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality policies, systems, and practices (and those of the Clients we serve)
- Respecting CNS policies, Site Work Instructions, and Site Supervisor’s direction
- Other functions may include patrolling, reception/administration, reporting, emergency management and access control
WHO WE’RE SEEKING
- Be aged 19 or older
- Be a Permanent Resident of Canada or Canadian Citizen
- Not have a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
- Be able to provide fingerprints and complete a criminal record check
- Be eligible to apply for Government of Canada personnel security screening
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (the ability to work in both official languages would be considered an asset)
Qualifications and Skills
The selected candidate will be a professional and detail driven individual with a strong work ethic and “Can Do” attitude. Both physical and mental fitness is required. This often involves working in all types of environmental conditions at varying times throughout the day or night.
Key qualifications and skills to be successful include, but are not limited to:
- Mental alertness with an ability to:
- react calmly, quickly, and appropriately in any crisis
- concentrate and remain alert for up to 12 hours
- communicate observed characteristics/behaviours (good memory)
- demonstrate problem-solving and sound judgement
- Physical fitness with an ability to:
- climb multiple flights of stairs with ease
- navigate uneven terrain during foot patrols (in all weather conditions)
- display good dexterity and balance
- rely on all senses in assessing changes to the work environment
- Superior attention to detail with very good verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Computer literacy, and/or an aptitude to learn is an asset
- Achievement of First Aid certification
- Successful completion of the Commissionaires Security Officer Course (online and/or in-class)
READY TO JOIN US?
This position is open to external and internal applicants (commissionaires should include their Corps #). We encourage veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP to apply.
Our goal is to create an inclusive, diverse workplace representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. At Commissionaires we support, value, and respect the different views, cultures and experiences of our employees, clients, business partners and community members. We welcome applicants that identify as Indigenous/Aboriginals, or African Nova Scotians and/or Other Racially Visible Persons, or Persons with Disabilities, or Persons who identify in the 2SLGBTQ+ community or others who reflect the diversity of Nova Scotian communities. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your cover letter or during the application process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Tags: security, security guard, security personnel, guarding, guard, patrol, customer service, patrolling